Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer is out of control!

• Please log in to reply

mlansky

mlansky

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Hi,

My Windows Installer folder (C:\Windows\installer) folder is taking up 20.6 gigs of space and counting. I think this is what's causing my computer to gradually lose free space. I've done some research on the internet, but I never really found anything useful pertaining to Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2007 (which is what I'm running). I'm not sure what files I can delete in that folder. I think the update files in that folder are duplicating themselves somehow so there's a bunch of duplicate MPS files. I think this problem might have something to do with my Microsoft Office updates. I'm not sure what to do or what files I can delete so that I can clean up this folder without harming/affecting the operating system. Can someone please help me out?

I initially ran the program 'TreeSize' to see what was taking up all the free space; my Windows Installer folder is taking up all of my free space. So my son ran 'TreeSize' on his computer and his Windows Installer folder was taking up less than a gig of space.

Thank you for the time you took to read my problem.

Regards,

mlansky

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Sometimes ago Microsoft had a tool named Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility or something like that. This tool occasionally caused damage to other programs, and was removed, for that reason from Microsoft downloads. Have a look at thispage to learn more.

If there are no operational problems with the computer I would leave it as is. If there are any, please report them here and we will try to help without touching Windows Installer.