Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What anti virus to use?

• Please log in to reply

thick as glasses

thick as glasses

• Pip
  • 2 posts
last night i found out my laptop had a virus. i didn't have a anti virus so i had to factory reset my whole pc. Now my laptop is up and running brand spanking new. only thing i want is a anti virus that doesn't slow down my pc but works great. I had AVG (free) but it didnt find the virus when i did a scan.

thanks for any help

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Hi,

If you looking for a free solution then Microsoft Security Essentials is a free AV program that is becoming increasingly popular with good detection rates and little impact on pc performance.

Here is a review to look at:

http://www.techradar...eview?artc_pg=1

The link to the software is on page three of the article.

Other than that there are a whole array of other AV programs. Both paid for and free solutions. The most important thing with AV software is to ensure it is kept up-to-date and regular scans take place. If you want a paid version the best thing to do is visit the website and download a free trial then if you like the software buy it if not try something else. Personally I use Kaspersky IS and that works fine for me but its mostly down to preference.

Thanks,

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
Personally i use Avira. it has great detection rate and although it does suffer from some false positives i have never had it miss somthing. it has really good removal tools built in and if you dont mind a bit of extra cpu use it can protect it's own process against a virus trying to kill it. the really hilarious thing is that it uses the same technology that makes viruses so hard to remove to protect it'sself :) talk about ironic (and unlike nortan and mcaffe that leave parts behind the built in uninstaller for avira actualy removes it properly). It has a Free edition and unlike most of them it only nags once on update rather than every 5 seconds.

Edited by mikeloeven, 24 August 2010 - 10:00 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Combofix should never be used by anyone without a experienced malware techs assistance. It is a very powerful tool that can render your system unbootable if not used correctly.
Rkill although I understand the use of it I am suspicious of any program that does registry corrections. These type of programs if not done correctly can make your system worse then when you started. We here at GTG do not advise on the use of any type of registry cleaning program.
AV programs you can take a look at
  • Microsoft Security Essentials
  • Avira
  • Avast

These all have smaller footprints which will not cause your system to slow down.

Mikeloeven the assistance of malware related topics and advise is to only be given by a Malware Tech staff member here at GTG. The potential for issues resolving is to great and only those Techs are allowed to give such advise and only in the malware forum.
If you want to join the fight against malware then I would strongly suggest joing GeekU and go through the training here on GTG.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
who was giving specific malware advice ??? he doesn't have a virus anymore and i simply suggested a general band aid procedure? as for combofix i did clearly state in my post that using cleaning tools can render the computer unbootable with some malware.

besides in a perfect world everyone would actually REMEMBER to back up their data and crashing a computer would only be a minor inconvienance. :)

Edited by mikeloeven, 23 August 2010 - 09:18 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

If you do get a virus tho 9 times out of 10 running Rkill followed by Combofix from safe mode will get rid of the Active part of the virus allowing your normal AV to clean up the rest of the pieces without needing a factory reset

This mainly is the part of your post I am referring to.
I don't think you are intentionally offering malware help but Combofix is a malware removal tool and that is why I commented on the post. :)
we could always use enthusiastic and great technicians to join the malware fight. You seem to have a great head on your shoulders with the advice ( and yes i saw your warning) that I was opening the door to invite you to apply for GeekU.
I gave several examples of programs to look at along with your advice and welcome the chance to work with you more here GTG. :) :)

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
i would join geek u if i had the time but i am working on my MCSA atm and it isn't going too well. i mean on the practice tests they ask about some insanley archaic practices rather than general knowledge. why should i have to remember 20 billion command line switches that i could simply look up in 5 seconds with my cell phone at a job site.

Edited by mikeloeven, 23 August 2010 - 09:57 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Mike, I edited your post above. rshaffer summed things up pretty well.

This topic is to help fix the users problem, not to discuss the forums term of use, so feel free to PM me if you need more clarification on that rule.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

i would join geek u if i had the time but i am working on my MCSA atm and it isn't going too well. i mean on the practice tests they ask about some insanley archaic practices rather than general knowledge. why should i have to remember 20 billion command line switches that i could simply look up in 5 seconds with my cell phone at a job site.

the MCSA asks about these practices and not general knowledge because its a MICROSOFT test, not a test on general knowledge.

If that is what you are looking for, I suggest you look into something like an A+ or Network+