Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd drive icons keep installing themselves to desktop at startup

• Please log in to reply

Biff3

Biff3

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I recently downloaded a program called "TweakNow PowerPack 2010" and used it to clean up and defrag my registry. It worked fine and sped up my computer, however it did have one little side effect that I find extremely annoying.

I have never kept icons for my cd drives, D and E, on my desktop. On the rare occasions I do want to access those drives I do so by clicking the icons for them inside the "My Computer" icon. After running the TweakNow program the cd drive icons appeared on my desktop. I deleted them, but they are automatically recreated on the desktop every time I boot up. It seems like some kind of setting got changed. Can you help me stop them from being automatically recreated to desktop? Thanks.

EDIT: The icons are just shortcuts to the drives.

Edited by Biff3, 25 August 2010 - 10:51 AM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

and used it to clean up and defrag my registry

Registry tools are not recommended and here is why: http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

I suggest, you use system restore to a date from before all changes.

Biff3

Biff3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for your response. I did create a restore point before running the program. I wanted to make sure I could restore if anything went wrong. So far I have encountered no problems other than the minor annoyance of the drive shortcuts installing themselves to the desktop each boot up. On the other hand my pc has stopped freezing up and everything from loading programs to browseing the web is much faster. So, at this point the good I'm experiencing far outweighs the bad. However, I do still have that restore point ready to go if I discover something truly bad.

Biff3

Biff3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Figured it out. Cd Autorun got switched on. Once I turned that back off, as I normally keep it, the system didn't put shortcuts to the games in the drives unto the desktop. Thank you for the help and the suggestion. :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Sure thing :)