Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista Wireless Connect Local Only

• Please log in to reply

Spinplasm

Spinplasm

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello - Yesterday I had my Netgear router die on me so I bought a new one (WNR3500L) - I hooked it up and the only thing I changed was my old WEP security to a WPA2-PSK [AES] security phrase. I left all previous IPs etc the same. I then hooked up my 6 Pcs running XP and they all connected with no problem as did my Wii and PS3. However when I tried to connect the Laptop running Windows VISTA it connects to the router but would not connect through to the internet. This same machine ran fine on the previous router so I am very confused. I do not know Vista well, but tried disconnecting and all of the things I could think of in the Windows options. I should note that I reserve IP addresses for each systems MAC and the system does show up as an attached device on the router with the right IP address. Also if I connect the laptop to the router through a cable connection it works fine. Its just the wireless.

The system says:

Unidentified Network (Public Network) [dont know why it sees the SSID, and I have tried switching to private but no different]
Access Local Only [this is the issue because hard wired it says Local and Internet; of course on that one I had to assign it as a home Network]
Connection Wireless Network Connection (PKRZONE)

I have seen posts on many sites about this issue with different solutions and causes - sounds mostly just another case of Vista being lousy... I tried the "Fix" on the microsoft site, it didn't work. There was another reference to an improperly uninstalled Norton anti-virus. I dont know if there was ever a version of NOrton on the machine. Some other descriptions used commands to "rebuild the TCP/IP stack" but it sounded a bit specific to the computer so thought I would ask first.

I should also note I tried shutting off the Firewall and even uninstalled Avast for a while - neither helped.

I greatly appreciate any assistance!

Thanks

Spin

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The wireless chip in the laptop that won't connect may not be WPA2 compatible if it's older than a couple of years. Try using WPA on your router instead, or go back to using WEP.

Spinplasm

Spinplasm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks Phillip,

I have tried doing WEP again with the same code as my old router which worked previously but no avail. I even tried no security and it did not work. I have also tried using manual entry and the WPS on the access point but still "Local Only". One interesting thing is previously it would only say "Unidentified Network" now it shows up with an icon and actually has the SSID name in the network but it still won't let it through to the internet. No idea why the over night change. This is more frustrating than removing malware!

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Spin

Spinplasm

Spinplasm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Just a follow up - after trying everything under the sun recommended on different sites etc including the reg key edits etc, I finally went and got the USB adapter (also Netgear) off of another computer (its an old, semi broken 11.g wireless but still works) - loaded the drivers for it and disabled the internal HP adapter (Atheros which has no updated driver since like 2007). It connected through to the internet. So lets hope it stays that way and it will cost me the price of a new adapter but at least its working. I must say my limited experience with Windows Vista is that it is absolute garbage. I hope they have done better with 7...

Thanks

Spin

stealthcat

stealthcat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You've since moved on, but you had one of the closest matches to my situation, so I thought I'd reply in case others find their way here. I have a temporary workaround with WEP, until I get a WPA solution. I had to set up the WEP in two steps.

First I "Manually connect[ed] to a wireless network" from "Set up a connection or network" from the "Network Sharing Center." I entered the Network Name, Security as WEP, entered the security key, etc.

Then after it was set up, I needed to go back to "Network Sharing Center" to "Manage wireless networks." I selected the Network, right-clicked for Properties, then selected the Security tab. From there I selected "Security type" as Shared, "Encryption type" as WEP, re-entered the security key, and then I was finally able to connect.

I suspect my network card on this Dell 630 may be WPA/WPA2 incompatible, though a previous model laptop (Dell 620) under XP works. I may just get an 5 GHz G/N adapter for the 630/Vista so that I can connect for either speed or distance on my dual band router.