Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Facebook Cell Phone Verification

• Please log in to reply

Velourian

Velourian

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I too do not have a cell phone. This is so frustrating. I cannot access the FB account. It stats that there is an alternate method of verification, but nothing is displayed. Also, I see the stupid messaging stating you can add a network (school/college) to verify! Well, you can't do that if you can't even log in! What idiots! :-/
I've been looking online for a service that acts as a mobile phone to receive text messages since I don't have a cell phone. I have not found it yet :-(
I hope someone here finds one. I would not mind paying for it if it meant I could verify my account.

Advertisements

Velourian

Velourian

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Belle,

I have an old account that I could not access. I made a new one. They're both real accounts, I just changed the name on my first one to my middle name. I think you can verify your NEW account by phone - regular phone. Maybe we should all make new accounts :-) Then FB will have a lot of new accounts haha

Belle2

Belle2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I hear you Velourian. I'm on pins and needles. I keep waiting for this new account to become disabled. I may add another email (as suggested by Facebook and other posters) so I'll have more than one way to access the account.

ZoinksScoob

ZoinksScoob

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Can you register the same cell phone number to confirm more than one Facebook account? I have several (for varying reasons), each one linked to a separate e-mail account. But now FB wants me to confirm ALL of them. Can I use one cell phone number to confirm all of them, or is a distinct # needed for each one?

technicdragon

technicdragon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It would appear that facebook is turning to the government to aid those who do not have a cellphone. Here's the page I found following the links from the verification page...

http://www.facebook....onfirm_identity

You have to enter your full name, date of birth, log-in email address and a government issued photo of yourself. That would mean your driver's license or other government issued ID. For those who don't have a scanner, this could be a problem. And for those who live in states where your ID is covered with reflective lamination, again, it could be a problem.

My only question to facebook in light of this page is where do they actually verify the person's picture, or if they do? Just getting a photo of a living person would probably due for this purpose, but I've not tested it to find out. If anyone else has used the page, or goes there to get their account released, please let the rest of us know.

Oh, and for those who've asked, no, you cannot use the same cellphone for multiple accounts. I tried using my sisters, but she already used it on her FB account and it wouldn't let me use it.

Edited by technicdragon, 03 January 2011 - 12:39 PM.

BOSSDOGG

BOSSDOGG

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Dose any one know What to do? When I am try-n to do verification of account, on face book... and it keeps say-n that my phone # is all ready on another account... how can I correct this problem? If it can be, thanks

BOSSDOGG

BOSSDOGG

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm sorry, but I'm new on Facebook an it saying that my number is log n with another account.. an that, just can't be. how can my cel b lodged In with someone else's account? Thanks for the reply but its just not work-n... can I get fb help from like a help center? is there a number to talk to someone that can delet the # from that account?

BOSSDOGG

BOSSDOGG

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, found some light on own problem. Thought I would put it there just in case it help someone else... problem: to verify cel phone on Facebook.. when it say phone already on another account. Go to account sitting at the top page go mobile.. and this where you will inter your confirm code. Text the letter F to 32665... 1st and wait for your confirm code... and it works or it did for me. thank for all the help!

karinchi

karinchi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

I now need to know how I can deactivate a page that I no longer have access to?

if you no longer have access to that page, you wont be able to deactivate it.

Jack Rover

Jack Rover

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I used someone else's cell phone for my facebook account now I can't get hold of that person to get the code to verify my account. What the [bleep] is facebook thinking. Everyone doesnot have a cell phone. Why did myspace flop? Facebook is going to have to find better security measures than a cell phone. People change cell phones and lose them all the time. I got a book I'm trying to market and now I can't get into the facebook account for it. Just great!

Advertisements

Narnia

Narnia

• Pip
  • 1 posts
As I recall, no mobile number was required to establish a Facebook account. I have a simple Facebook account I use to communicate with a handful of people. To establish my account, all Facebook required was an email address, my name, a date of birth, etc. No phone number. I complied, uploaded a photo, then sent and received a few messages. I had the "Send a Message" feature, but did not establish a "wall", or "add a friend" features. The other day, I went to Facebook, entered my email address and password as usual, but a page demanding my mobile device number appeared. Claims for this new piece of personal information were to establish that I was human, to prevent spam on Facebook, and in a rather hostile fashion suggested reading Facebook laws where it is stated only one Facebook account is allowed per person so "real" people will "share" with other "real people". Well! How is one to take this? Further insinuating points were included to validate this new demand...but what Facebook does is to welcome us in with the friendly assurance Facebook will always be "free"...encourage us to upload our photos, obtain friends, send and receive messages - then one day face a lock-out with Facebook holding our communications, and photos HOSTAGE until we comply with their new demands!

Excuse me..but a mobile number WAS NOT part of the sign up process. Demanding a mobile device number AFTER we have entered into Facebook membership - having turned over our names, birthdays, GPS locations, IP addresses, photos, and private messages, then subsequently LOCKING us out if we cannot supply a mobile device number months or years later - is surprisingly similar to holding our info and photos hostage with ransom demands in order to release our property back to us. Facebook has recently declared the "rumors" that our photos uploaded to Facebook are no longer our property are untrue. Facebook states the photos are indeed our property which they archive. In fact, Facebook states, we can request to download "archived" information from Facebook to take to another social network competitor if we so choose. Well, I do not see how my photos are still mine when they are being held hostage by Facebook until such time as I provide a mobile telephone number to them to add to their already abundant amount of personal information. I cannot comply with this new demand because I let someone else use my cellphone number when they faced this identical problem. Now, I have no new number with which to provide Facebook to reclaim my account. Are any others here feeling your account has been taken hostage for no apparent reason except Facebook's desire to assign a phone number to every individual member? What will be Facebook's next lockout demand? Social Security numbers? A growing group of intelligent people are beginning to wonder what Facebook is doing with all this information gathering..and for whom?

Back to the mobile device number demand at hand, what are our options? I do have a landline phone but this is not an option to recoup my Facebook account. I could call my wireless provider and request a new number to meet Facebook's demands - but at a price, and extreme inconvenience because I have had my cell number for years. I could make a trip to a store, purchase a go-phone simply to comply with Facebook's demands - but thinking this over, I feel I'm dealing with a kidnapper. What next? Will Facebook begin demanding users meet them in abandoned warehouses with suitcases of money before returning our accounts? Some people only have landline phones. It is obvious the few people who manage Facebook are guilty of discriminating against the population of people who do not own cellphones. Consider the group of people Facebook claims are it's fastest growing membership - that being older people wishing to reconnect with friends from 40 years ago. Surprise Facebook management youngsters..there are actual living members of the Facebook community who do not have cellphones! I know, what a shock! Is that possible? Yes! It is! These people likely have landline phones. Landlines do not factor into your account recovery solutions. Other people may not be able to afford cellphones with the economy suffering as it is, because they prefer to eat, and pay their rent, or mortgage. Is Facebook discriminating against those who cannot afford cellphones? Facebook - you are found guilty of kidnapping, taking hostages, and discrimination. I must say Mark Zuckerburg et. al. - you are digging Facebook's grave.

Edited by Narnia, 18 November 2011 - 03:26 PM.

shatay

shatay

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi im having a problem when i log into facebook its telling me it sent a code to my cellphone so i can type it in but the number listed is an old number that i changed how do i bypass it or change my number please help thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• vds.jpg

mandy41

mandy41

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm in the same boat. Ironically, its my backup profile they are doing it to. They flagged my main account last week and made me try to identify my "Friends" pictures.... A nearly impossible task but I got lucky and got thru it on lucky guesses. Then deleted about 800 "Friends" off my list so that it falls under that "1000" mark that seems to trigger the system. I then copy/pasted my entire FB account and made another with another email address. That 2nd one is now being asked to provide a cell number.

I agree it seems an infringement on our privacy to have to provide it. What happens, does our profile just stay in limbo and clog up space on their servers now? All I can suggest is:

1. use a disposable phone, if your willing to spend money on an FB profile and "hope" that works (I'd only spend money on an FB Account that's really important to you, in my case I had no real time invested on it, it only holds photos as a backup), OR YOU CAN

2. give up on it and create a new one and inform your contacts your new situation and sadly start over on any Games and Apps you were playing. I am in the latter, I have several accounts on the basis of playing the Games. I feel its safer to add my own than to add a bunch of total strangers I know nothing about or hope they feel like playing and helping. I was doing this on Myspace for years until the Games starting leaving Myspace, so I migrated to FB.

In this case they flagged my backup profile, which didnt have anything I cant lose, its just kinda dumb that it'll sit there forever now, unused. As such, I'll probably do the easiest route, create another FREE EMail account and use that to re-create the backup profile FB thinks they've successfully blocked from whoever they think they've blocked it from.

The whole attempt at Security is really sorely needing some work. As it is, its not effective and blocks perfectly normal users from accessing their perfectly harmless accounts. Creates more harm than good. Identifying Friends pics? Having to reveal your personal cell number? And all when there's ways around it? Its not effective. Go back to doing Captchas or something else to prove we're humans. Threatening to delete our other profiles is lame too since there's no proof if its one person or several using the same IP address... like at a library (example). With all the internet access nowadays there's really no way to really keep anyone off of any website if they want to be there badly enough.

I'm a bit peaved too, since the only way to stay on FB when they do this is to break FBs rules to do it if your forced to give up and start over with a new FB Account. Many people use more than one account for innocent reasons: one for family/public use, one for personal/private use that doesn't point to them in real life.

Lastly the reasons they choose to flag you are also odd, if you don't have enough posts or have too many friends or add total strangers once in awhile or login in too often, apparently thats proof of possible wrong doings? Not wanting old irrelevent wall posts and cleaning it up is a bad thing? Interacting with many people all over the globe is bad? Having a bit of spare time during the day and logging in a few times to check on emails or game progress is bad? They really have re-visit their whole security thing. As it is now, they aren't stopping anyone, except perfectly harmless people from using their own accounts they've had forever.

mandy41

mandy41

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Just found out that adding a new account is against Facebook rules. Uh, oh! Wonder how long it will be before I'm asked to supply a cell phone number for the new page! I guess I should add another email account so I can still get in some how! It's terrible, because this isn't happening to everyone. Perhaps it's because many of them are already using their cell phones.

Honestly there's no way they'd know if you had another account unless you gave them some reason to research it and could identify your IP address being attached to more than one account. But unless your breaking the law, they won't look into it. The way around that is to simply use another computer/access point. But several people can be using one computer (Libraries, for example), so if FB is using that as a basis of proof of multiple profiles, then thats plain wrong. I have several I use for Games. Its not hurting a soul. If you must have more than one FB account either:

1. wait 24 hours between creations OR
2. use two different computers so that it appears from FB's point of view that it was two different people.

And don't flip back and forth too fast between logins from your computer or they may notice and flag you with that stupid Security question process.

BintangKejora

BintangKejora

• Pip
  • 1 posts
@mandy41: I exactly have the same problem with you, I use my FB account for gaming. Now I can't log into it, I've managed to submit cell phone (prepaid) number, but never getting answer.
Looks like I have to stop playing game in FB, starting to move to Google+. The best is that Google allows multiple accounts.