Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Measure network connection?

• Please log in to reply

DrBubba

DrBubba

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am looking for a program that can over a period of time measure my wireless connection between a computer and a router. Why this is to help a friend who seems to lose connection more often when sitting in his kitchen than in his office. I would like to start the program and have it running in the back ground and after a couple of hours see how much the signal has dropped or not over time.

Is there even such a program?

Thanks
Bub

Edited by DrBubba, 26 August 2010 - 05:08 AM.

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Before answering your question I would like to say that the reason why your losing connection will probably be because of interference. Appliances such as microwaves etc. can interfere with a wireless network and so sitting in the kitchen the wireless will probably be being interfered with. There are also several other factors which I won't go into unless you want.

However, to answer your question one thing I can think of off the top of my head is to use Microsoft's built in performance monitor. I haven't used it before to do what your asking but I think there is an option there for logging available bandwidth if that is of any help. If you want to give this a go full details below:

1.) Go to start and type perfmon in the search box and hit enter.
2.) In the Windows Performance Monitor navigation pane, expand Data Collector Sets, right-click User Defined, point to New, and click Data Collector Set. The Create new Data Collector Set Wizard starts.
3.) Enter a name for your Data Collector Set.
4.) Select the Create manually option and click Next.
5.) Tick the performance counter box and click next.
6.) Click add (a new window appears)
7.) Scroll in the left window for sometime called Network Interface and click the down arrow next to it.
8.) Find the current bandwidth option and click it to highlight it. Now the box below shows your network adapters click the correct one and hit the add button and then click ok.
9.) Hit finish.
10.) With the data set created highlight it and click start.
11.) It will begin logging until you hit stop - after you hit stop a report will be available to view in the reports tab below under user defined.

Not sure if this is of any use but to be honest I think you should look into what is causing interference because that is more than likely the issue here.

Thanks,