Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd Slowdown Suddenly Affecting Computer

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
On the bottom of the laptop there should be a little cover that says either Ram or Memory.
You take that off and you should have access to the memory modules there.

(Checking Google on some of them in curiosity said most or all of them are Rootkit names, so they were probably from an old set of infections this had last year. One was a video codec, though, LCODCCMP.DLL)

It would be more likely that you are reinfected with the same virus.
After we are done I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Advertisements

Tylinos

Tylinos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I already went did that before making this topic. When it was determined that my computer wasn't infected, they sent me here, which is when I started this thread.

Actually, better safe than sorry. I went back and added a post in the other topic just in case. A link to the topic if needed:
http://www.geekstogo...ing-system-cpu/

Also, I'd like to note that I've been apprehensive about trying the memory removal thing because ever since this problem started a few days ago, the computer startup time now takes very long, when it should normally be much faster. I'll probably still try it later, but that just worries me. What if trying it with each memory stick does nothing, and the problem is still there each time, and both work otherwise? Is there anything else that could be the problem?

Edited by Tylinos, 28 August 2010 - 12:42 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Here is a link to "How To" change/upgrade a memory module http://h10025.www1.h...&product=499847
Regarding Autoruns see the instructions below;
http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Autoruns instructions courtesy of rshaffer61

Tylinos

Tylinos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
The thing was already gone by the time I checked AutoRuns, but I attached the log anyway.

I haven't yet tried running the computer with one memory stick at a time, but I have a question that was nagging at me. In the event that it runs even when trying each memory stick seperately, and the problem is still around, what would be suggested then? Would there be anything else you can think of to check if it wasn't a bad memory stick?

Attached Files

Edited by Tylinos, 28 August 2010 - 04:09 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please provide the following info

Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show

System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory
I need all the above info in your next reply Except for Register name and number.
This is private and we don't need to know this information

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please run a new Everest report and post the new txt file following the steps I gave you in post 6.
I need to see your total free space again.
Did you run the memtest86 program on your system?
If not please do so instead of removing memry and let us know the results.

After that then please do the following and then let us know the how your system is running then.
Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 August 2010 - 06:30 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
In response to Edit 2 in post #10, you can find the information for using Memtest86+ at the attached link.

EDIT 2: Actually, I have no idea how to run Memtest86+, and the page doesn't seem to help with that. Can anyone let me know?

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/246994-guide-to-using-memtest86/

Tylinos

Tylinos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Did you run the memtest86 program on your system?
If not please do so instead of removing memry and let us know the results.

I thought that you had earlier highly suggested to not run Memtest86 if I could try running the computer with one memory stick at a time instead instead. I already had made plans to do the memory stick test today, and would rather not change them at this point.

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

HP
AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile
Technology ML-32
1.79 GHZ. 896 MB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer TYLERTHOMAS (Tyler's Computer)
Generator Tyler Thomas
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2010-08-28
Time 14:50

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name TYLERTHOMAS (Tyler's Computer)
User Name Tyler Thomas

Motherboard:
CPU Type Mobile AMD Turion 64 ML-32, 1800 MHz (9 x 200)
Motherboard Name Hewlett-Packard Presario V5000 (ET828UA#ABA)
Motherboard Chipset ATI Radeon Xpress 200M, AMD Hammer
System Memory 896 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (02/24/06)

Display:
Video Adapter ATI MOBILITY RADEON Xpress 200 Series (128 MB)
Video Adapter ATI MOBILITY RADEON Xpress 200 Series (128 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon Xpress 200M (RS480M)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Generic Television

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter ATI SB400 - AC'97 Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller AWEHFFZM IDE Controller
Disk Drive ST980829A (74 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N
Optical Drive LWV X2NO1AV SCSI CdRom Device
SMART Hard Disks Status FAIL

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 68723 MB (4752 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 7570 MB (1021 MB free)
Total Size 76293 MB (5773 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Quick Launch Buttons
Mouse HID-compliant mouse
Mouse Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

Network:
Network Adapter Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN (192.168.0.102)
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Modem AC97 Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Peripherals:
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB1 Controller ATI SB400 - USB Controller
USB1 Controller ATI SB400 - USB Controller
USB2 Controller ATI SB400 - USB 2.0 Controller
USB Device Generic USB Hub
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
Battery Microsoft AC Adapter
Battery Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

Problems & Suggestions:
Problem Disk free space is only 7% on drive C:.

Edited by Tylinos, 28 August 2010 - 12:51 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
We prefer to test the unit with 1 stick installed at a time so we can get a good idea if it is a bad stick.
But due to your circumstances (possible flaky ram or ram slots), Rshaffer61 wants you to run it with both sticks in and see what comes up.

We then need to work on freeing up hard drive space.
C: (NTFS) 68723 MB (4752 MB free). That is about 6% free and can cause issues.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

C: (NTFS) 68723 MB (4752 MB free)
Problem Disk free space is only 7% on drive C:.

This is still a problem and unless we get that up to 15# free we can't guarantee the resolution of the issue.
The MFT or Master File Table will eventually become corrupt and the system will no longer boot.
123Runner and I both are suggesting you clear more free room on your HD.
This is not a if the system will be affected it is when as I stated above. It will happen we can guarantee that.

Advertisements

Tylinos

Tylinos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Alright, so I'm going to be running Memtest in an hour or so, but first I have a question to ask so I can check the answer on another computer while it's still running: If any errors show up, do I have to mark them down somehow, or merely report that there were errors, and not the specifics?

Also, on another note, I thought I should put up a screencap of my Task Manager from last night to show a more direct example of the odd thing with it. It probably doesn't really help, but I may as well show it. Everything's listed in CPU usage order. Note the CPU Usage percentage compared to the System Idle Processes, with everything else at 0%:
http://img831.images...2010taskmgr.png

One other minor thing that probably isn't important. Yesterday, when I restarted my computer, it briefly flashed into a screen size that looked something like a 640x480 for a few seconds during startup before switching back. It might not mean anything, but I'd never seen it do that before.

Edited by Tylinos, 29 August 2010 - 11:22 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

If any errors show up, do I have to mark them down somehow, or merely report that there were errors, and not the specifics?

Just let us know if it finds any. If it does show errors thne it is a good bet a repacement memory modules or modules will be needed.

it briefly flashed into a screen size that looked something like a 640x480 for a few seconds during startup before switching back. It might not mean anything, but I'd never seen it do that before.

Most likely the monitor resetting itself as most of the newer ones will do that from time to time.

I see nothing unusual about your process's.

Tylinos

Tylinos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Alright, bad news time. I started running Memtest, and about 20 minutes in, the computer just shut off. Feeling the top of it, it was much warmer than it should be even running normally, so it seems like it crashed due to overheating, which is very odd.

However, I should note that yesterday I tried running with one memory stick at a time. For each one, the result was pretty much the same as with both. Same problems, no real changes.

So, what should I do now?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep I would open the case and see if all fans are turning and turning correctly. The most obvious cause would either be the cpu fan or the psu fan.

Tylinos

Tylinos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
So, I was away for the afternoon for the past few hours following the computer crash, having turned it back on before I left, and I noticed a few things when I got back.

First, I always keep Speedfan running to check the core temperature. Usually, my core is at around 40 or so degrees Celsius when idle. Now it's just sticking at around 25 degrees Celsius.

Second, there's a new "Temp1" listed in Speedfan that was never there before. Worryingly, whatever it is remains at a constant 94 degrees Celsius. I have no idea what the Temp1 is, but I know 94C is a bad thing.

Third, the computer is now running slower than even before. Not only that, but earlier when idle, it would at least remain near or at 0% CPU Usage. Now it's fluctuating between 0% and 25% or so pretty much constantly.