Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Copying Files With "Illegal" ASCII Characters

• Please log in to reply

popeyehoochie

popeyehoochie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I am using Windows XP, and I need to copy the contents of an entire HD onto another backup HD, but sprinkled throughout there are files with "illegal" characters, (&*@^$!? etc.).
When I try to do a straight copy things go fine until it gets to a file with an illegal character, then it stops and I get the error message "CANNOT COPY FILE : CANNOT READ FROM SOURCE FILE OR DISK"
Is there some kind of open source backup program or copy utility that would solve the problem?
Cheers!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Rename the files in question. The characters in question cannot be part of a filename in Windows. Once you've renamed them they will work happily.

popeyehoochie

popeyehoochie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah, of course I tried, but I can't rename them, windows wont let me - and in any case there are too many files. There has to be some other way around it?
(I can read / watch / listen to the files just fine, but I cant copy, delete, or rename them. All I really need to do is copy / backup the HD to another drive)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Yeah, of course I tried

Not really an ideal reply, to offered help. In fact a way of ensuring that other offers are perhaps not readily forthcoming.
I suggest you have a look at one of these files and tell us what it is, by way of its properties, size and where it is.

Have a look at this
http://www.dslreport...remark,16817867

Edited by Macboatmaster, 27 August 2010 - 04:23 PM.