Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Issue

• Please log in to reply

wolfxero

wolfxero

• Pip
  • 4 posts
At first, my computer wouldn't even go through POST, but I reset my BIOS and it goes through POST fine.

The current problem I am having is that after a little bit of runtime my computer will shut it self off. This seems to be a power issue, but I'm not sure where to start. This only started today and seems to only happen when I run games at the moment.

The first time it happened I was playing Garry's Mod with music and chat running in the background. This is a very small load for my computer to handle and is what I normally do. I opened up Single Player and began moving around normally then my computer shut off.

I reseated everything and checked all cables to make sure they are connected properly then put the computer through the same scenario. It happened again, but I lasted a lot longer in the game than I did before.

Currently, my computer is sitting next to me, up and running with no problems whatsoever. It hasn't shut down for a good hour and is running fine.

So, my biggest question is, is this fixable or will I have to buy a new power supply? This hasn't happened before and I don't know why it's doing it now.

Computer Specifications:
nVidia nForce 680i SLI motherboard;
2 GB of DDR2 800mhz Ram;
nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS video card;
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.67GHz, 3.3 Overclockable;

PSU: Max Output: 550W
Output: +3.3v +5v +12v -12v -5v -5v5b
Max Amperage: 30A 38A 25A 0.8A 0.5A 2A
AC Input: 100v-127v/6A 60Hz
240v-240v/3A 5Hz

I hope that's enough information.

Edit: Happened again on a different game, I'm thinking that it may be the video card and/or the video card not getting enough power.

Edit: Turned on my computer again and it turned itself off just after POST.

Edited by wolfxero, 28 August 2010 - 06:17 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest posting this exact post in the Win 7 forum/b].
This forum is for discussions and no assistance is given here.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.