Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't boot

• Please log in to reply

steelerbot

steelerbot

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi, I have a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop running Windows XP. I was running Super Anti Spyware when during the removal process I got the dreaded blue screen. I then was taken to the screen that gives me the option of starting in safe mode,safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration or start Windows normally. I have attempted all of the options but am brought back to the original screen again and again. The blue screen pops up for a nano-second on each try but not long enough to read what it says. I'm at a loss as to what I need to do next. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank-you.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
  • Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
  • Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
  • Click Enter to disable it
  • The system should reboot and if not then do so.
  • When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

steelerbot

steelerbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks, here is the message...

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen..........

check for viruses on your computer. remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. run chkdsk /f to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xB84C3528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

This is what the message means.
Can you get into the bios and see if the HD is being detected there?
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
[list]
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Once there depending on which bios manufacturer you have you will see the hd's listed or you may have to find the area it is in.
DO NOT CHANGE ANY SETTINGS IN THE BIOS UNLESS INSTRUCTED!!!!!!!

steelerbot

steelerbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I tried tapping del but it does not take me to a Bios/Cmos area, just back to the restart screen. I can get to the startup menu via f12 to see the boot sequence. ????

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you first turn your system on look at the bottom of the screen. It should tell you what key is the one to enter Bios, Cmos or Setup
They are all the same and depending what your system is it could be different keys to enter it.

steelerbot

steelerbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
When the computer is turned on the first screen that comes up is the Dell screen with the "bar" that fills. Below that it says BIOS Revision A05. At the top right it says F2=Setup & F12=Boot Menu. From there it goes to the error screen with Startup options.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
F2 does nto get you in the bios?

steelerbot

steelerbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
From F2 the choices are...

1. System (system info, processor info, memory info, date/time, boot sequence)
2. Drives
3. Onboard devices
4. Video
5. Performance
6. Security
7. Power Management
8. Maintenance
9. Post Behavior

The only mention of BIOS are in the Boot Sequence.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You want

2. Drives

This is where your HD's and optical drives will be displayed if seen.

Advertisements

steelerbot

steelerbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Under F2 i get the following

*Diskette Drive
*Drive 0: SATA-0
*Drive 1: SATA-1
*Drive 2: SATA-2
*Drive 3: SATA-3
*Drive 4: PATA-0
*Drive 5: PATA-1
*SATA Operation

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
WOW that isn't much help. Can you highlight Drive+:Sata0 and does it gove you any option to identify the attached drive?

steelerbot

steelerbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sorry, I'm new at this. This is what it says after highlighting.

On= The interface is enabled and an attached device is usable

The factory default setting is on.

Controller Details:
*Controller= Serial ATA
*Port = SATA-0

Drive details:
*Drive ID = ST3160023AS
*Capacity = 160GB
*BIOS = This drive is controlled by the System BIOS

I don't see anything relating to identifying a drive.

steelerbot

steelerbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Would it change anything if I said there wasn't anything on the hard drive that I would miss and would be okay with just wiping it out and starting over? I tried to do that via the owner's manual, but it still took me back to the start-up screens.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

*Drive ID = ST3160023AS
*Capacity = 160GB

This is identifying your hd as a Seagate 160 gig SATA

If you want to just format and start over that is a option if you choose to do that.
Do you have the Recovery Disks for the system?
If no disks there may eb a recovery partition and do what is called a Destructive Recovery.
This will format the partition and put everything on the system like it was brand new from the factory.

The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them.
It should go into the recovery partition so you can do a system restore.