Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't boot

• Please log in to reply

steelerbot

steelerbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
First off, I made the colossal mistake of not paying extra for the recovery disk. I tried the CTRL F11 numerous times before, per the owner's manual, and it just takes me back to the start-up choice screen. Is there another way????

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well you have a couple of options.

• Borrow a XP cd of the same type that is installed on your system ...Home, Media or Pro
  • Purchase a full XP OS
  • Contact Dell and purchase a set of Recovery Disks

The last option will be the less expensive as normally they only cost about 30.00 USD for them. :)
I have helped several people with this option and Dell has always been good about the recovery disks and getting them to the user in a timely manner.

steelerbot

steelerbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank-you so much for your help. I'm going to order a CD from Dell. Is there anything special I will need to do or can I just put it in and go?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You should receive at least 2 cd's. One should be the OS and the other should be the drivers.
When you get them insert the OS disk and boot the system. As long as your system is setup to the cd first then everything should continue with minimal input from you.
After telling it to install to your C drive and maybe a few other steps then it should do everything on its own till you need the drivers cd.
If you need assistance then just post here and I will continue to help you.
Let me know what Dell says and when you can expect the cd's.

steelerbot

steelerbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks so much again. I just ordered what they called a recovery "kit". It supposed to come with several disks according to the sales person. I should have it by Thursday and it was even cheaper than you said. The disks themselves were $10.99. Shipping and handling and taxes brought the total to $18. A definite bargain from where I'm sitting. If I have any issues I'll let you know. I really do appreciate your help and advice. Thanks again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
GREAT to hear!!!! :) :) :)
When you are ready just let me know and I'll be here to help if I can.