Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How To Do Clean Install Of Windows XP From Recovery Partition On HP Pa

• Please log in to reply

Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
@Macboatmaster

Polite? What are you talking about? Did i hurt your feelings or something?

@rshaffer61

I didn't tell that i have Windows XP Recovery Disk, but i am affraid of using it. My DVD-RW drive was behaving bad until i cleaned lense today. Who knows, if i format hard drive and will try to install from disk maybe there will be error copying files or who knows what. Which brings me to doom - i cannot do clean install of OS from hard drive and i cannot proceed with clean install from disk.

By the way, when i did "Destructive Recovery" if i didn't say that earlier, some Windows files were restored and i think my laptop works faster now, so i think i can continue using current OS without need to do a clean install. Clean install from disk is my last resort. I will do it when the situation is really bad and will pray.

Currently i have problem with Wireless Zero Configuration service not starting.

As for your advice to burn checking program to disk, i currently don't have any disks available. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Boris_yo, 30 August 2010 - 05:19 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

By the way, when i did "Destructive Recovery" if i didn't say that earlier, some Windows files were restored and i think my laptop works faster now, so i think i can continue using current OS without need to do a clean install. Clean install from disk is my last resort

So does this mean the system is now backup and running correctly?

Currently i have problem with Wireless Zero Configuration service not starting.

This most likely means the drivers did not load or we need to do some further investigating to find the problem here.

As for your advice to burn checking program to disk, i currently don't have any disks available. Thanks for your help.

Can you use another system from maybe a friend or neighbor to get the diagnostic program cd made?
If not then I will wait for your results from the system as it is running now.

Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

So does this mean the system is now backup and running correctly?

I need more time and i will tell you if my system's speed improved. I need a few days to work on this.

This most likely means the drivers did not load or we need to do some further investigating to find the problem here.

I tried many things: installing newest drivers along with software, uninstalling... Nothing worked. However i haven't told you everything yet. You see with software Intel Proset Wireless for 3945 BG wireless adapter i can start wireless connection, the problem is that as soon as it connects, it disconnects! I tried with different spots and same thing happens always.

Edited by Boris_yo, 30 August 2010 - 01:59 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

i can start wireless connection, the problem is that as soon as it connects, it disconnects! I tried with different spots and same thing happens always.

Sounds maybe like a failing wireless connection as in card.

I need more time and i will tell you if my system's speed improved. I need a few days to work on this.

No problem I will watch for your results.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Usually a "standard system recovery" will replace corrupted system files and leave the data intact.
You will usually have to apply all MS updates.

A destructive recovery wipes the drive and formats it (as you stated). All data is lost and all MS updates need to be re-applied.

Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
When i did "destructive recovery" my hard drive wasn't formatted and i think Windows instead restored system files. I checked if i have Windows updates and yes they stayed.

Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Okay folks, it seems that i think i know why i couldn't install Windows. You see, when i bought laptop, i had disks C:/ and D:/ which is recovery partition. I then created disk F:/. Recently i wanted to do recovery as i stated already in this thread, recovery console notified me of insufficient disk space and it seemed as it copied some files to disk C:/ (which it didn't - it copied all files to disk F:/. Read more below).

Today i recalled that i once created disk F:/ and it had several Mbytes free. I thought if recovery console told me that there is insufficient disk space, then it has something to do with disk F:/. I then gone to check status of disk F:/ and...? Yes you guessed it right, it was formatted!

I should have mentioned that i added disk F:/ in the beginning in this thread if i could recall it. It would save me some time and your time also.

From all of this i came to conclusion: do not add any changes to disk system. If your laptop comes with disks C:/ and D:/ then do not add any additional disks. I added additional because there was unused 1 GByte and i thought why not use 1 Gbyte, my hard drive is 80 GBytes and additional 1 Gbyte won't hurt.

Now i am happy because i can reformat disk C:/ and reinstall my bugged Windows XP. I hope that you have learned also something out of this. Thank you for help!

Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Moderator, i accidentally posted twice so please remove this reply, thanks.

Edited by Boris_yo, 21 September 2010 - 04:24 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for letting us know how you resolved the issue. :D