Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to Internet

• Please log in to reply

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hi John,

Just one more thing to try before I go and ask my peers if they have any ideas about where to go from here:

Have a look at the link below.

http://en.kioskea.ne...ugged-but-isn-t

Check out those possibilities.

Come back and tell me if there is any change.

Advertisements

john545

john545

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Well, I played around with the suggestions in that link you provided, and I may have found the problem. I pulled the ethernet USB cable from the modem to the laptop and repalced it with a regular LAN cable. I can now connect to the internet, which tells me I either had a bad modem port or a bad usb cable. I'll repalce the USB and see what happens.

ALthough I can now get on the internet, the connection is extremely slow, and times out often. I suppose it could still be a modem problem, but a wireless connection from another pc to the same modem is very fast. Or it could be the new cable Im using. It is one I had lying around, but it very long - I'd say 15-20'. Could that cause the slowdown ?

JOhn

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

It is one I had lying around, but it very long - I'd say 15-20'. Could that cause the slowdown ?

I am not a techie but yes I think that could well be a cause.

Meantime

Let's see if we can completely discount malware as a cause.

Try running the Kaspersky scan - see instruction at post number 10.

It will normally take a very long time so expect it to be even longer with your slow connection. :D