Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE_SOFTWARE

• Please log in to reply

MQL0929

MQL0929

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm computer illiterate so i'll try to describe what happened to the best of my ability.

I wanted to delete a specific program and was instructed to go to HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE_SOFTWARE. Instead of finding this program under SOFTWARE and then deleting it, i right-clicked on SOFTWARE and hit DELETE. I compounded to problem by emptying the recycling bin, effectively deleting whatever it was permanently. Now when i click on certain buttons, i get the following.

CONTROL PANEL: This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

DEFAULT PROGRAMS: Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion.

COMPUTER: (no response)

MOZILLA FIREFOX (and other web browsers): (no response)

I don't have the reboot disc for windows 7. How do I recover what was lost and get my computer back to normal? I know i screwed up big time. Please help.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Tried system restore?