Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error 756?

• Please log in to reply

Django2009

Django2009

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Not quiet sure if this is the right place too post this, but anyway here's my problem.

My friend has had a problem with his free version of Avast 5, firstly we couldnt get the program too install the updates, we were told how too totally remove and re-installing it, this we did and got to working as it should do. One problem fixed!

But, since re-installing AVAST 5 we know have another problem, we 'vebeen getting this message pop up at the startup. Directly after the being connected to the internet. We are using a ASDL connection witht his computer (its a friends by the way) and his using XP Pro - Sp3
Any idea, i have read elsewhere about what it is, but no real ideas how to fix this problem?

Error Message reads-

"Cannot connect the phonebook entry. Error 756 This connection is already being dialed"

NB: When i unstalled i didnt get this error message,so its something too do with my AV. My Friend would like too keep it on his PC if possible.

Cheers

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is not an Avast problem.

This error is caused because the machine is trying to dial out.

http://www.modemsite...56k/duns756.asp

How are you connecting to Broadband? Are you using a router (rectangular box with flashing lights and a pointy aerial on the back of it) or is it a USB modem (typically two light "blob" that plugs into a USB port)? Who is the Internet with?

Django2009

Django2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Yes he is connected to broadband!
No Router. And yes it the USB Modem thing with the 2 flashing lights.
He is with Talk Talk (UK)

Django2009

Django2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Any ideas?

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Disable the dialup modem in Device Manager since you do not need it.

Django2009

Django2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
There's no Modem too disable in my device manager?

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
If the PC is connected to the modem using USB, remove it and use an ethernet cable.

If you are using only an ethernet cable, remove the current connection in Control Panel>Network and create a new one.

PPPoE or PPPoA may require a username and password.

Django2009

Django2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
"If the PC is connected to the modem using USB, remove it and use an ethernet cable."

Without the USB Connection i have nothing else to connect too the internet!