Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Resetting Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply

jcrewlover

jcrewlover

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Will you help me reset my linksys wireless router, change the password, change the ISP address, etc. so that it is not hijacked? I read the "have a home router, you'll want to read this" article and want to do those things but don't know how.

Background: I have a month old brand new HP laptop, windows 7, 64 bit, kaspersky anti virus, malwarebytes, and spyware doctor all fully functioning. My old crappy lap top started with the same symptoms a couple months ago. From internet research I'm starting to assume our wireless router is hijacked or causing browser problems.

Symptoms: Internet Explorer & Firefox both- google search results open pop up window to 5.results.google page, redirected to videocop/spam check if you are human websites, pages won't load and says waiting for google.analytics at the bottom. These are all randomly occuring in both browsers.

More info: I was looking at a forum where the geek to go helper person said to check the host addresses on the computer, and see if there is anything listed under 127.0.0.1. I tried it and on mine there was one line under- it just said ::1 host something.

Thank you!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for the router settings

what make/model router is it?

for your actual symptoms....are you saying that the new computer worked fine for a month and has now started giving you redirects when doing searches? and that your laptop has been doing this for a while before even getting the new computer?

jcrewlover

jcrewlover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry if I was unclear.

My router is: Linksys by Cisco RangePlus wireless router model:WRT110

No and Yes. My new laptop has had the symptoms ever since I got it home and started using the internet. It started right away even though it's brand new and has all this protection. My old laptop had the symptoms a while (a couple months) before I even bought my new one as well, but I have stopped using the old one.

Edited by jcrewlover, 02 September 2010 - 03:56 PM.