Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reinstall 2000 pro

• Please log in to reply

farmgirl806

farmgirl806

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I somehow have gotten a username and password box on log in to my windows 2000 pro. In the username it says aspnet. I have tried to log in as administrator also owner. Nothing works and I have never set a password. This is a dual boot system and I am able to get to the other operating system windows ME by clicking F8. I am not able to get to windows 2000 in safemode either. It still asks for that login. I do not use aspnet and never will. My question is could I reinstall windows 2000 pro and get rid of the login screen. Will I loose my pictures and other files? I can get to windows ME and when I open my computer - C drive- where are the windows 2000 files to back up? I really need help. Thanks.

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit farmgirl806?

Windows 2000 is a business op system and will periodically force a password change on an existing profile. Perhaps a Win2000 update came through which is forcing a login process? Can you remember what your original profile name that was in 2000? It obviously has defaulted to the Aspnet, as its 1st in the alphabet. If you change the name to what the user profile name is, it will open with no password and all your data intact...

Hope this helps...

Edited by Mark D, 04 September 2010 - 06:08 AM.