Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant connect to wireless network, please help :P

• Please log in to reply

Purev

Purev

• Pip
  • 4 posts
so i have a dell, and i cant connect to my wireless network in my house. on all of the other computers it works fine, but it just doesnt seem to work on my desktop computer. whenever i try to connect, it doesnt even go to "aquiring network adress" it just stays at "not connected." i have a suspicion that the problem is my wireless network adapter, but i dont know for sure. i have already tried turning on/off everything. please help, and thanks in advance

Advertisements

Incoming

Incoming

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
Is the wireless built in or is it a USB type drive that you plug in and it is supposed to detect networks?

Purev

Purev

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yeah, its like a usb thing, that plugs into the back of the computer

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Have you installed the usb network adapter correctly - Has it been working on that particular pc before the problem occurred? To check go to start type devmgmt.msc in the search bar at the bottom (or click run and enter it in there if using windows xp). Check to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks anywhere. It will look something like this:DeviceManager.gif

Let me know if there are or not (you can post a printscreen and I will take a look if your not sure). Also, does a wired connection work? Does your wireless adapter show any available networks? Please reply with more details as to what the problem is exactly and how it happened ie it was working then suddenly stopped or you installed a new device etc the more info surrounding the problem the better.

Thanks.

Purev

Purev

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i dont know for sure if it was installed correctly because ive had the adapter for a while, and it was working fine till like a couple months ago. i checked the devmgmt.msc thing and there were no yellow exclamation marks. i cant do a wired connection because my router is downstairs in the living room, and my computer is a desktop. the adapter stopped working when i moved my computer from the room across the hall to mine, mabye it worked because it was closer to the router then, but i dont know for sure. and thanks for the help. i really appreciate it.

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
If it worked fine before you moved it then it is more than likely a wireless range problem. However, it could be because where your computer is located now the wireless network is being interfered with. Is your computer near any other wireless devices such as wireless telephones, wireless tv senders etc? Also, to make sure it is related to wireless range what is your signal strength? To check do the following:

1.) Right-click the wireless network connection icon in your taskbar and then click View Available Wireless Networks.
2.) The Wireless Network Connection dialog box appears. If no networks appear, click Refresh Network List in the upper-left corner.
3.) Check the signal strength of your network(The more bars the better the connection).

Some pictures to help:

netimp_fig2.jpg

netimp_fig1.jpg

Purev

Purev

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
! it might be because of the range. i checked the signal strength of my wireless network at it was at two bars which is a low signal strength. and no, the computer isnt anywhere near other wireless devices except for my wireless keyboard and mouse

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
If your signal strength is only 2 bars then that is probably why you are having connection problems. I doubt the wireless mouse or keyboard will interfere with the connection. The only thing you can do really is move your computer closer or buy a new router and wireless adapter which will be able to work within that range. The latest routers are now wireless N which will have the best range and speed and so will work better than an older router.