Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Link HTML Document to Access Database

• Please log in to reply

Vampy99

Vampy99

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I'm currently designing a HTML document with various input fields which I'm wanting to populate an Access database with.

I've got my HTML document & database all set-up, does anyone know how to link these two together?

I've tried a few suggestions using search engines but nothing has worked for me so far

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This isn't possible with HTML on its own. HTML is more of a web-page layout language than anything else, and you do more complicated things such as database and data processing by feeding the input from a form to a separate script. HTML has no ability to process any data by itself. Typically it's used to show the output of data processing that's been done "behind the scenes" as it were.

The easiest way to do what you want is simply build a front data entry form in Access itself. Then when you bind the individual components together, the data gets entered automatically by Access.

The only other way you're going to do it is via a web page, a database and use some code. This can get ridiculously complicated given half a chance.

Vampy99

Vampy99

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, this is beginning to make a little more sense to me now.

The problem we are facing is that we need to create a "form" as such which around 10-15 people can enter details into which will eventually end up in a spreadsheet.

Seeing as though we can't get authorization for 10 more Office licenses to go on the PC's in question, we have to find a work around.

I've designed a front page HTML 'screen', my colleague has put some ASP with this & created a corresponding database which the info wants to be in, we just can't get everything to link together!

If you have any suggestions it really would be appreciated!!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If your colleague has created an ASP script, which is running on a local server that's configured right for ASP scripts, then everything you need is already done.
The issue therefore lies in the setup of the database itself or the way that the script is working with it.