Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Redirect Virus: I'm losing my mind on this one

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dynamic73

dynamic73

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've tried many thing to remove this virus. I've worked at it for 3 weeks now. Also everyday in fact. Please be patient with me. Cause my frustration level is at a maximum.

Here's where I'm at now. 1st thing I did was tried all known malware & virus removal tools (Dr. Cureit, HiJackthis, Malwarebytes, Remove old Java files, Stinger, SuperAntiSpyware, TDSSkiller, ComboFix won't work with Windows 7, neither would a couple others I tried. None of these worked.

Reformat PC. After reformat my Windows 7 ultimate key became blocked by Microsoft. Now I getting really frustrated. Called MS and they confrim it's a bad key. Even though it was a brand new sealed Windows 7 Ultimate 32 & 64 bit Full version. But this is another story. Which I will have to deal with later.

Redirect virus still there. Change password in router D-Link DGL-4100 Broudband Gigabit Gaming Router. Still have virus. Unistall router. Reformat PC again. Now virus seems to be gone. Reinstall router. Virus comes back immediately.

Uninstall router again. Reformat PC for a 3rd time. Install my old Linksys router. Virus seems to be gone from my MainPC. Check my other PC. Which is my HTPC. Which was connected to the D-Link DGL-4100 Broudband Gigabit Gaming Route. Which was giving me the virus. The HTPC now has the Google redirect virus.

So I got my MainPC seemly cleaned from the redirect virus. I now have my old Linksys router installed. But my HTCP which is hooked up to the network, is still infected by the google redirect virus. I would like to remove the virus from my HTPC. But I don't won't to have to reformat. I'm a little skiddish after getting my windows 7 key blocked on my MainPC. How can I remove this virus from my HTPC, without refromatting? Also now that I know the D-Link DGL-4100 Broudband Gigabit Gaming Router is the problem. How do I fix this router? I'm very scared to hook it back up to my MainPC. Cause I know it will immediately reinfect it with the virus again.

This virus has caused me a lot of time, frustration, and pain.

Advertisements

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hi :)
:) . My name is Michael and I am here to help you fix your computer. :)
If you have already received help elsewhere please inform me so that this topic can be closed.
If you haven't, please keep reading:
Note: Before we start the process you should:
  • POST your logs, don't attach them, as it makes it harder to read.
  • Save or print these instructions as a part of the fix will be in safe mode where you will not be able to access the internet.
  • Disable ANY programs that offer real-time protection features while executing my instructions. That includes your antivirus, antispyware, windows defender or any other program that offers protection. When you're clean or waiting for my next set of instructions, re-enable them .If you need any help disabling them, ask.
  • Each time I instruct you to download a file to use it, please do it even if I have told you before to download it again. This is because these tools are frequently updated to detect newer infections.
  • Last, as most of the tools we use here need administrative rights in order to function properly, I expect that you will be running them from an administrator account.

Please disconnect the old router and connect the one that gives you the redirects.

Router Reset
  • Your router is infected. Read this for more information: Malware Silently Alters Wireless Router Settings
  • Consult this link to find out what is the default username and password of your router and note them down: Route Passwords

• Then reset your router to it's factory default settings:

"If your machine has been infected by one of these Zlob/DNSchanger Trojans, and your router settings have been altered, I would strongly recommend that you reset the router to its default configuration. Usually, this can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds)"

• This is the difficult part:
  • First connect to the routers server. To do that type http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar and click Enter. You get the log in window.
  • Fill in the password you have already found and you will get the configuration page.
  • Configure the router to allow you to connect to your ISP server. In some routers it is done by a setup wizard. But you have to fill in the log in password your ISP has initially given to you.
    You can also call your ISP if you don't have your initial password.
  • Don't forget to change the routers default password and set a strong password. Note down the password and keep it somewhere for future reference.

After this, check to see if the redirects are gone.

Thank you

dynamic73

dynamic73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
1st off I'm not really wanting to reinstall the router that is causing the redirect virus. I fought this virus for 3 weeks. Before finally getting it off my MainPC. Is there any other way? I'm pretty sure the problem is in the router. I'm really scared to hook it back up.

Also you say: "Configure the router to allow you to connect to your ISP server. In some routers it is done by a setup wizard. But you have to fill in the log in password your ISP has initially given to you.
You can also call your ISP if you don't have your initial password."

Well I don't really understand this. My ISP connection is automatically configured as soon as my router is hooked up. It's done in the modem. The router is just the gateway for my PC's. I've never had to enter any addresses or passwords.

I'm almost at the point to were I'd like to burn the bad router. And just try and figure out how to get this off my HTPC without reformatting it.

Forgive me for being a little skid-dish about all of this. This is the worst virus I've ever had in over 12 years. I got the new router off ebay. The guy who sold it probably knew it was infected and decided to pawn his problems off on me. Because my PC got infected shorty after installing this router. It's also a lot faster than my old router. I'd like to fix it but I'm sure you can understand my hesitation.

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hey,

This infection is not so terrible

I understand your hesitation, but there is not any other way of fixing that infection without resetting the router, because the router itself is infected.

It should not be hard to re-configure it. Your ISP will be able to help you, so you just need to make them a call if you need something :)

Just try it

Edit: You said that you are connected via a modem, the router is just the gateway for the computers. When you installed it, did you configured any settings or it was automatically set?
Also, if you are using a modem to connect to the internet, resetting the router will not deny you access to the internet as you can connect directly via the modem :)

dynamic73

dynamic73

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm on Comcast. Using a cable modem. I configured nothing when hooking up the router. It sets up automatically. I run the router to the Wan port and each PC to the Lan ports.

I will reset the router and change the router password later tonite. I hope I can get back to this forum. If the redirect virus stays on my PC.

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.