Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Dtive Full

• Please log in to reply

munleyj

munleyj

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I have Seagate external drive. The drive is full. I try to access it and it says " J:\not Accessable". The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable. Is there a way to access it? My operating system is Windows 7.

Advertisements

munleyj

munleyj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
It wants me to format it. Before I do that, I was wondering if there are otherways to access it. It my backup drive,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi munleyj
I havn`t used W7 yet so I am not familiar with its layout but have you tried doing a disk clean-up?
Go to my computer>right click on the drive>click on disk clean-up>go through the checked items to make sure it does not delete anything you wish to keep>click on more options and then the clean-up button in the system restore box and then click ok.
If this works you may be able to delete enough unwanted items to be able to access the HDD normally, if not try
using Recuva to get back data you wish to keep http://download.cnet...4-10753287.html
Good luck and let us know how it goes

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Click on All Programs, Accessories, and on Command Prompt:

Posted Image

Use the command prompt to perform a scan on your "J" drive. Enter the following information into the command prompt window without the quotes:

"chkdsk J: /f"

Than press enter, and it should fix the corrupt MFT, or other inconsistencies. If that doesn't help try running command prompt again yet this time writing the following:

"chkdsk J: /f /r" [Note: This will perform a full scan (including bad sectors) and attempt to fix them.]

If none of that works you must have lost power to your hard drive during a power outage, fluctuation, or the like. Which may have caused a chip in the external enclosure to lose information which has deemed the external enclosure unusable. In which case I would take the hdd out of the enclosure and insert it into my pc, or another enclosure to see if it still works. I highly doubt that the drive would stop working simply because there is no more space on the hdd. I've never experienced the latter...