Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7's Backup, Image & Recovery Discs

• Please log in to reply

SBernheart

SBernheart

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I don't even know where to start! I think I understand that what I've labeled as HP's "System Recovery Discs" was a set of DVDs that I was allowed to create only one set of that could be used if I had a total crash and needed them to reboot my system back to it's original state as when I bought the computer. I have another DVD marked "System Disc #1" that appears to be a System Repair Disc, but I'm not sure what I'd use it for. Finally, I've been creating monthly backups with Win 7's Backup & Restore BUT I've been saving them to an external hard drive and while I thought I was being 'neat and orderly' by putting each month's backup in their own folder marked with the month I did the backup, I'm now realizing some confusion because at some point Windows was trying to tell me that it couldn't find the backups/images that I knew were there so I tried to move the 3 items from each monthly folder back to where Windows originally put them (NOT in a random folder, but onto the main external drive's folder) and when it asked me if I wanted to replace a version already there I froze and didn't know what to do so I told it don't 'move' or 'copy' ANYthing! I mean GEEZ -- I was just trying to be sure of what discs did what, but I was afraid to even insert the discs I DO have because I wasn't sure if I could 'view' the files on them or if they would reboot my whole system without it being my intention to actually do that action yet. Am I making any sense? So what exactly IS the difference between the only copy I'm ever allowed to make myself recovery disc set of 3 DVDs, the single disc I think is a system repair disc and a system image located in separate folders on my external drive?

If I thought my computer was doing some 'weird' things and wanted to do a System Restore but the date I wanted to use listed a 'System Image' that it couldn't find because I thought I was being smart putting these supposed images in their own monthly folders when I did a backup -- how do I choose just one good image? Note the utter frustration? I very RARELY get upset over such things, but I'm aggravated at this point. If I made a new backup and image right now and left them alone right where the computer puts them, would I be making bad copies of what I thought was going wrong on the computer in the first place? Like if I had a virus, wouldn't THAT be copied too? This nightmare all started over a simple thing like my screen saver not working and it's lead me to think that I was a restore point away from magically traveling back to a place and time where I knew the screen saver was working, but every point I used kept being refused stating that something went wrong and to try another date until I went back to System Image Restore Points and, well, now you know what happened next because when I went to retrieve them, each one wanted to remove the previous one and/or replace it with a different one. How am I supposed to know what's 'good' and what's not? After much research I discovered that Windows would have naturally replaced previous versions or parts of them that had changed and automatically updated what was needed. All this over a stupid screen saver (and yes, I've tried other Win 7 screen savers, but none of them worked). Now I'm REALLY worried over slow connections and streaming videos doing the 'herky jerky', as my husband puts it. None of this should be happening on a computer I just bought a few months back, right? Is it time to call the store where I got it and let them give it to their geeks (no offense -- I love ALL my geeks) or can I salvage anything with all the stupid mistakes I made that may have caused myself even more headaches? Man, the thought of going all the way back to 'factory condition' makes my skin crawl.

As always, thanks in advance for any help you can provide. BTW, I wasn't even able to sign in here. I had to use my Facebook signin info. Have you guys updated your site recently? I never had a problem signing in with my old computer or the new one, so it was a shock to me. It said I was signed in AND it said 'thank you' like it always did, but then it simply reverted back to the same forum page with no log in privileges. Once I was in, I couldn't use anything different on the text editor either even though it displayed the 'hand' cursor vs. the regular arrow as I passed over things. It was weird but, like I said, my computer's been acting more than a little weird itself these days. Anyway, thanks......

SBernheart

Advertisements

SBernheart

SBernheart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Since first posting, I received an automated 'reminder' from HP to create a set of recovery discs for my system. I don't recall ever seeing this particular message before, although my husband could have ticked the 'remind me later' button and simply forgot to tell me (he's the one playing with the toys while I'm the one who gets to fix them when they break). I thought I had already made my set via HP, so now this is even MORE confusing. I gather my original post was asking way too many things at once rather than sticking with one true topic, but the one true topic IS the fact that I don't understand the real differences between the three disc types I mentioned. Maybe someone could explain one of them while someone else could explain another, etc.? I would truly appreciate it. Everything I've read so far makes it seem, to me anyway, that they all pretty much do the same things, just in different ways for different reasons based upon a specific event at a given time. If that's all there is to it and I'm just making things harder for myself than I need to, please let me know. I'd like to put this puppy to bed and get some rest myself as well. Thanks so much......

SBernheart