Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to change Security Ctr or Firewall

• Please log in to reply

jc27712

jc27712

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi,
I've had a couple strange problems recently....(1) Windows security center is turned off, & when I try to turn on, I get an error message "The Windows Security Center can't be started" (2) When I attempt to view my firewall status, I'm told Windows Firewall isn't using the recommended settings. With attempts to turn on, I'm told "Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings Error code 0x80070422" Computer is slow, and freezes when I try to open some programs.

I ran TFC/ERUNT/Malwarebytes and a full scan via Avast with no improvement. I ran GMER and it wouldn't even release a ark.txt but instead flashed a box "GMER hasn't found any system modification." Almost all the boxes in GMER were unchecked in addition to the recommended boxes; not sure if that matters, but I was unable to change. I attempted to run OTL, but in the midst of the scan I got an error box "Cannot create file C:\Users\HTPC\Desktop\cmd.bat"

Not sure if the negative GMER scan is enough to exclude infection. If so, that's fine, I just wanted to double-check before heading to the Windows 7 forum.

Malwarebytes didn't find anything, but this is the only scan I could produce so I'm attaching it. I have screenshots of most of the above steps also if that's helpful. Thanks.

Attached Files

Advertisements