Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Homebuilder Needing Some Advice

• Please log in to reply

Xardas

Xardas

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well, I finally want to get back into the PC gaming world and upgrade from my Dell Dimension 4600. I've never built a computer before, but I've had average experience with upgrading the 4600. I've been reading up on building a computer from scratch over the past several years on and off and I'm looking for a computer that will play all of the latest games and those that will come out in at least the next 2-3 years if not more.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I'm in no immediate hurry. If all the prices on these things slash in half within a couple of months, I'll gladly wait. I wouldn't mind getting it before Christmas though.

BUDGET RANGE: 1200-1400 Before / After Rebates (prefer to stay closer to the 1200 side).

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Internet, Word Processing.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I could use advice for a keyboard and mouse since mine are getting pretty old. I don't need a monitor though. I'd like to be able to hook the system up to my Sony Bravia 32" if that's at all possible. If not, then I'll take recommendations for a monitor that will fit within my budget.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I'm open to whatever is cheapest. I live close to a Micro Center and Newegg is basically where I've been looking for everything. Tigerdirect doesn't seem to have a few of the parts I was looking for and they don't seem any cheaper.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: I prefer Intel chipsets and Nvidia GPUs. As for everything else, I don't care about the brand name as long as there's quality in the part (meaning I'd like cheap generic brands that work just as well as their major competitors lol)

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes (might not get multiple GPU's at the moment, but I would like the system to be able to run them for future upgrades).

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I want to hook up the system to my Sony Bravia 32" LCD/HDTV/720p/1080p. 1366x768

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I prefer the Intel chipsets and Nvidia GPU's so that's what I'm looking to build with. Also, I'm looking for a pretty quiet build.

Here's what I have so far:

CPU: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor [$200]

Mobo: Open to any suggestions. Found a couple on newegg.
EVGA 131-GT-E767-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 SLI 3 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard [$208.50]
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard [$180 after promo]

Memory: Open to suggestions. Would like to have at least 6 GB and I don't care about brand name as long as the quality of the cards are still up to snuff. I heard that G.Skill cards worked pretty well?

Case: Going with the Cooler Master HAF912 when it comes out.

Power Supply:
XFX Black Edition [$93.5 after rebates/promos]

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive [$60]

Optical Drive: ASUS Black 24X [$20]

Graphics Card: I'm open to any suggestions that you guys have. I'm willing to buy and install two for SLI capabilities as long as I can keep the budget under $1200.

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for System Builders [$100]

Additional Components: Since I don't really have any experience building a computer from scratch, I'm open to any suggestions about fans, heatsinks, cooling equipment, etc. that I would need for a build like this.

Keep in mind that I'm not planning on overclocking this computer. Once again, I'd like to keep the budget under $1200 if at all possible. If that's impossible with the current CPU and mobo configuration, let me know.

Thanks in advance. :)

Advertisements