Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

would like to emulate previous PC

• Please log in to reply

PEDR

PEDR

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The motherboard on my PC failed (AMD 1.4 Ghz cpu 500MB Ram - used Windows XP).I have built a new PC using a barebones bundle (2.5 Ghz 2 core Intel cpu,4GB Ram, uses Windows XP) . I would like to make the new PC look just like the old one (same desktop, same installed programs etc). I have the old HDD (80 GB) from the previous PC. I can plug it in to one of the IDE connectors on the new PC,I then have 2HDDs as there is already a new 250 GB SATA HDD with windows XP on it Of course , when I try to boot from the old HDD using the already installed Windows XP on it the system fails to boot. Is there anything else I can try to acheive the desired aim? I suspect that what I want to achieve is impossible but I should be grateful for any advice.Thanks!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Not going to happen as Windows is looking for hardware and drivers on the old hdd the new system doesn't have.

Also, what was the make of your old system as that will have a bearing on any fixes you may be able to do.

Murray

PEDR

PEDR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The old machine was an Evesham computer. You confirm what I suspected - that what I wanted is impossible. I should still like any advice helping to get as near as possible to the desired result.
Thanks
Pedr

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Depending on your old programs, you could always install them on the new system and access your files that way off the old hdd.

As long as your old hdd is slaved to the new system, everything in it should be accesible.

Just one question, what did you use to install XP on your new system - the cd that came with your old system?

Murray

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
in newer computers the chipset video and audio drivers are often listed in the add and remove programs utility in control panel if you boot into safe mode and enable the msi service in the registry you should be able to uninstall the old hardware drivers and than boot normally to install the new hardware. it is real hit and miss especially if you are switching from a single core to dual core processor or between boards that have different power and performance options. than you get into HAL's which I really dont understand and i realy cant help you with.

why does it matter what disk he used to install XP they are all the same aside from the service pack. besides from the sound of it it looks like he just put the new parts in the old case so the liscense is still valid :)

Edited by mikeloeven, 07 September 2010 - 08:46 PM.

PEDR

PEDR

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did use the same windows Xp CD to install Xp on the new PC. I only have 20 days left to activate. As the windows Xp CD was an OEM version I am fairly sure activation will be refused so I have bought a windows Xp CD from ebay and will later use that . I have been taking programs from the old Hdd but it's a slow troublesome business. I did wonder if there were some way of resurrecting the old system without all that trouble . Saving the old Hdd seemed to me the ultimate in backup since it contains not only the programs but even the registry - however as you confirm that what I would like is impossible I will just have to do the best I can the long way!
Thanks for your help
Pedr