Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware possibly gone

• Please log in to reply

godess4life

godess4life

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, my name is Taneisha. I have a Dell Dimension E510 desktop computer that won't boot up at all. It doesn't make any noise or do anything that it usually does when trying to start it. The only thing that shows is a flashing orange light on the power button and whenever pressed to start the computer, it doesn't do anything at all but continue to flash that orange light. This has happened to me once before and I unplugged the power cord for awhile, then plugged it back and it started working perfectly fine again. This time they had a power surge in the area and all electricity cut off for awhile, so when the electricity came back on, there was that flashing orange light again. I tried the same thing I did last time, and nothing happened. I tried plugging it in a different wall socket even though nothing was wrong with the socket just to make sure it was the computer, and still nothing happened. I don't know what else to do, that's why I came for help. My computer was working perfectly fine before the electricity got cut off, and now its just dead. I currently have all the cables and everything hooked up to my laptop computer until I get my desktop fixed. Can someone please help or let me know what could be done to get my computer back to life?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it plugged into a surge protector or directly to the wall?
If directly then your PSU or Power Supply Unit may have taken the hit and now needs to be replaced.

godess4life

godess4life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well it was plugged into a surge protector, but I tried plugging it into the wall also and it still done the same thing. I know the surge protector is still working fine cause I plugged something else into it and it worked fine, and I also have my tv plugged into it and I never had any problems with that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually it would have been better of the surge protector didn't work after the outage.
Now that you have tested it and verified it is working then we have to look at your PSU as being the problem.
Do you have access to another psu to try?

godess4life

godess4life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No, I don't have access to another PSU to try.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok then the steps are going to be limited at this time.
You can open the system and turn it on. Then check to see if the fan on the motherboard and the psu fan keep turning.
If so then we need to look at the video itself.

godess4life

godess4life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
To rshaffer61,
I just want to thank u for your help, but I manage to figure everything out and my computer is back up an running again. After your last message I opened up my system and tried to turn it on to see if any of the fans were turning and nothing happened,nothing was turning at all. But I came across another site kinda similiar to this one and in the forums there were some other people who had the exact same problem I was having with my computer. So to fix the problem all they said was that they unplugged everything, took out that bios battery located on the motherboard for a couple of seconds, popped it back in and then turned the computer back on. I tried that and it worked, so now my computer is back on. I just had to set the date & time again but that was it. So once again thanks for your help!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Glad to hear you got it resolved.
:) :)
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)