Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista PC Runs Slow All the Sudden

• Please log in to reply

oOpsicle

oOpsicle

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello Geeks,

I have a Dell Inspiron PC with Windows Vista OS. Recently, my PC began running very unusually slow, and the fan is always on which leads me to believe the harddisk is constantly working, even when I'm not doing anything.

I've run AVG SUPERAntispyware, ERUNT, Malewarebyte's Anti-malware to no effect.

Curiously, when I started the Disk Defragmentation software, six hours later it was still "defragmenting" and it never would finish.

Finally, I ran the Uniblue RegistryBooster which said I had a bunch of registry errors, but doesn't correct them. It seem more interested in selling me something than fixing anything.

Any thoughts of where I can go from here?

Clayton

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Firstly get rid of Uniblue.

Secondly, somewhere on the Start Menu for Dell machines should be an option for diagnose or system test of whatever. One of them will do tests on the hard drive. The fan being on doesn't necessarily mean anything.

oOpsicle

oOpsicle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for the information. But I cannot find any diagostic or system test option to check the hard disk. I've tried to use "cleanup" and "defrag," the latter of which never finishes or makes any progress as far as I can tell. It just runs for hours and hours. (I left it running for over 6 hours.)

If it were just my fan, I wouldn't be so concerned. But it my computer physically runs hot and slow. And this is something that it didn't used to do a month ago. . . .

Are there any other suggestions?

Clayton