Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking with internet connection of an air card

• Please log in to reply

2Scribe

2Scribe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have a desk top PC connected to internet by an "air card", so there is no "signal" for the other laptop to pick up. How can I get the laptop connected to internet? Is there something else I can buy and pick up to satalite? They tell me I have to purchase another air card for the second PC, which is $120/month for internet. I just cannot afford that. There is no Fios or cable or DSL offerred where I live. It is not far away, but not here. What can I do? I can pick up the satalite signal real good by using a signal booster antenanne that I purchased on my own. Everything else is thru Verizon. Please help, I am poor.

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I'm not sure how you network is setup but I think what your looking for is something called Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). This allows you to share your connection to other computers. Basically you would have to buy a X-Over Ethernet cable connect it to the computer with the internet and then your other computer. The other computer can then share the connection. Let me know what you think or what your looking to do exactly.

Thanks.

2Scribe

2Scribe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
That was one of the first things I tried. But I used just a regular yellow ethernet cord. What is the X-over?

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Basically when you are connecting two computers together you have to use a special kind of Ethernet cable called a cross-over cable. This is because two computers have an identical pin arrangement and so using an ordinary Ethernet cable would actually be connecting the transmit pins to the transmits pins and the receive pins to the receive pins rather than the transmit to the receive. A cross-over cable essentially crosses over wires in the cable to ensure that the receive pin on one computer is connected to the transmit pin of the other.

So, basically looking at the cable you will see no obvious difference (the difference can be noticed only when looking at the cable ends side by side if the wires are wired the same its an ordinary cable, wired different its a cross over cable). Basically, I would just go to the store and specifically ask for a cross over Ethernet cable - otherwise if you just ask for an Ethernet cable you will more than likely be given an ordinary cable.

Hope this helps.

Edited by hendaz, 11 September 2010 - 03:43 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
who is your air card with? verizon? you could get a cellular router (there are several on the market) that would allow you to plug your activated aircard directly into it and then this would share a wireless signal throughout your house that would connect your computers directly to the aircard.