Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

fan making a lot of noise on laptop

• Please log in to reply

mscobra

mscobra

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
The fan on the left side of the laptop is blowing air, but it's making a lot of noise, like it has a lot of dust or dirt in it. I blew it out through the air vent this morning and plugged it back in and turned it on and it was quite for a minute or two and then started even louder. Is there an easy way to take apart the laptop to clean the fan? Or do you think that this is a more serious problem?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi mscobra, sounds like the bearings may have gone on your fan and so it will need replacing.
Here is a link to a video showing you how to clean out dust from a laptop, it will give you an idea of how to go about dis-assembling your laptop to inspect and possibly replace the noisy fan
Below is a link to your own laptop dis-assembly guide;
http://www.irisvista...therboard_1.htm
For future reference, when using compressed air to clean a computer you should not allow any fans to spin freely
as it can cause damage, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan still.
I hope the above information helps you to resolve the issue and let us know how it goes.

mscobra

mscobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thank you for posting the video and the link. Both were very helpful. I ordered the fan from ebay and started on a sunday Morning taking it apart, screw by screw, and after 5 1/2 hours, taking it apart twice. It works great..
People were telling me how difficult it was to do, but I'm happy I tried and probably saved quite a lot of money.
thanks again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Congratulations on replacing your laptop fan yourself and saving yourself some money whilst carrying out a tricky repair.
Thank you for choosing GTG and for posting how you successfully resolved the issue :D ;)