Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

acer 3400

• Please log in to reply

needhelp888

needhelp888

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a acer 3400 laptop. the screen goes blank after windows screen. i didn't back up my files. what can i do? how can i at least back up my files? pls help!!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. ON F8 if you can get there try Last Known Good - However I do not hold out much hope of that
2 Press F8 on start-up and see if it will load Safe Mode
3. Was this computer provided with an XP CD or an Acer recovery CD
Note press F8 repeatedly after computer first posts, that is on Acer screen before Windows starts loading

needhelp888

needhelp888

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
tried last known good config, no luck, also tried safe mode, but got stuck, it does come with recovery disc, but i want to back up my file first, how can i back up my file??

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
There are basically two ways one is to access the computer if that will work by using UBCD4Win
http://www.ubcd4win.com/
and the other easier way is to take out the hard drive and place it in an enclosure, if you have to buy one make sure it is for a 2.5 laptop drive and then connect to another computer, providing there is nothing wrong with the actual hard drive you can then access all your personal data and copy it to DVD or to a folder on that computers HDD.
To DVD is the safer method.
Alternatively if you have a look at your manual there may be a soft recovery option which is basically a repair of the Windows installation and will leave your data intact.
This of course presumes that the black screen on Windows is a Windows file system error and not some other cause.
If you do not have the manual go to the Acer website slect your model and enter the service tag number, usually on the base of the laptop.
From there you can access the manual and everything else to do with the computer - free of charge.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 September 2010 - 01:11 PM.

needhelp888

needhelp888

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
tnx for the advice, will try