Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot install itunes because unable to remove older version of bonjou

• Please log in to reply

ajmaguire27

ajmaguire27

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Cannot install itunes because unable to remove older version of bonjour. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi ajmaguire27,

Welcome to Geeks to Go ! :)

This seems to be a problem with a lot of people. See if this link here will help you.

How To Uninstall or Remove Bonjour mDNSResponder.exe

Let us know how it goes.

Donna :)

ajmaguire27

ajmaguire27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello Donna. Thanks for the good advice.

I was able to remove the mDNSResponder.exe, the mdnsNSP.dll, and everything else bonjour that I could see in program files. However, bonjour still shows up (after a restart of course) in my list of add or remove programs (and it won't allow me to remove it). And itunes continues to tell me that there's an older version of bonjour that cannot be removed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James :)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi James,

The reason it is still there after rebooting is that it is not being removed from the registry.

Try the following to see if it has success.

Step 1. Go to Start > Run and type the following command and hit OK.

“%PROGRAMFILES%BonjourmDNSResponder.exe” -remove

Step 2. Go to Start > Run again and type the following command and hit OK.

regsvr32 /u “%PROGRAMFILES%BonjourmdnsNSP.dll”

Step 3. Restart your computer.

Step 4. Delete the Program Files Bonjour folder.

Note: You need to enclose the command in ” “, or double quotes. Just as it is shown above. It may be easier to copy and paste the command to ensure that the spaces and quotes are in the appropriate places.

Also, if this does not work, try this tool here --> TurnOffBonjour.exe It can be located under the Parent Directory 20th link in the column. Basically what it does is it turns off and removes the redundant Bonjour service from your computer. You are still required to delete the Bonjour files and folder from your C drive manually.

The above information was collected from the link below that I am providing for your reference.
What Is And How to Remove and Uninstall Bonjour mDNSResponder.exe Process

In the meantime I will search for more solutions that may help. Please keep me informed to you progress.

ajmaguire27

ajmaguire27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello Donna,

I copied and pasted (and also tried typing it) “%PROGRAMFILES%BonjourmDNSResponder.exe” -remove and got an error message that said cannot find "C:\PROGRAM'.

I then copied and pasted regsvr32 /u “%PROGRAMFILES%BonjourmdnsNSP.dll” and got an error message that said Load Library (C:\PROGRAM") failed - the specific module could not be found.

When I look in program files, I see no bonjour folder and am pretty sure that I followed the instructions above once before and deleted the bonjour folder and its contents.

When I try to download and run the TurnOffBonjour.exe, I get an error message that says the bonjour service is not active.

Thanks,

James :)

Edited by ajmaguire27, 14 September 2010 - 11:10 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi James,

In my research I came across this thread here --> older version of bonjour cannot be removed. I can't guarantee that any of these solutions will help you, but it's worth a try.

The experts that helped this member also gave a link to the itunes support forum in post #21 by Broni. This may be your best option if nothing in that thread helps.

Please keep me informed to your progress. If you do finally decide to post for support at the itunes support forum, could you please post your results back to us and let us know either way if they were able to help you? I'd really appreciate your response. You may also post the link to your support thread if you will. I'd like to follow your progress there as well.

Also, I'm not one to give up easily on difficult situations such as this and will continue to search for a solution.

Thank you,

Edited by DonnaB, 15 September 2010 - 05:36 AM.

TomC99

TomC99

• Pip
  • 1 posts
SOLVED!

I tried so many suggestions from various sites and spent a ton of time to solve this problem. The one that finally worked for me was the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. If you search for it at microsoft.com, you'll see a message saying that they took it off their site because it sometimes causes problems with the installation of other programs. But I was willing to give it a try.

I found the program at MajorGeeks. With it, I removed 3 Apple... files, Bonjour, iTunes, and QuickTime (6 files in all). When I tried installing the new version of iTunes after rebooting, I got a message saying that the installation program couldn't find iTunes.msi. I searched for that file on my hard drive and found 3 old versions of that file. I tried each one with no success. So I used the Cleanup Utility to remove Bonjour and iTunes again. After restarting, iTunes installed perfectly. Whew!

Hope this helps others.

nicebutdim

nicebutdim

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Got fed up with being directed to various commercial clean-up sites, so used Microsoft Fix It http://support.micro...l_and_Uninstall, which quickly removed the dreaded bonjour and allowed me to re-install I-tunes easily and for free!

Thanks TomC99 and a tuneful New Year to you all!