Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade Limits

• Please log in to reply

stryfe1986

stryfe1986

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Is there a way to be able to determine how much processor I can upgrade to? I know there are websites like memoryx.net or crucial.com that tell me the limitations of my RAM but I was wondering for like processor or HD?

or If i can just get a new motherboard that is DDR3 compatible and use the DDR ram i have now and all of the hardware I have now and Just upgrade piece by piece? or would my current hardware not be compatible with todays new motherboards?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All processor support is listed on the website of the motherboard manufacturer.
While there is an upper limit to the size of a hard drive that a computer will see, the main issue you'll probably run into though is that XP will have issues accessing hard drives bigger than 2.1Tb. The resolution for this is a more modern operating system such as Vista or 7.

When or if hard drives reach the size of 144 petabytes (big enough to hold 72 copies of the Wayback Machine as it stand today) then you need to worry.

stryfe1986

stryfe1986

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well I actually intend to get Windows 7, I guess my main concern is, can I get a motherboard and use the same hardware I have now and just add piece by piece, especially the RAM is my concern, if I could keep the DDR ram until I'm able to get some DDR 3 which the motherboard I intend to get can support