I'm trying to delete windows.old folder but it just won't go away. Size is at 0KB.
When I go to my C drive, my computer will slow down drastically. I can barely click on the sub-folders. If I perform something, it will happen after 1-2 minutes.
1. In C drive when trying to delete it - It will load a "Recycling/Deleting" window and the computer will freeze. Every 30 minutes it will work for only 5-10 seconds then freeze again. I need to turn my computer off manually.
2. If in cmd I do a rmdir /s /q windows.old - this appears "c:\windows.old\windows\system32\config - The directory is not empty". Computer will still function normally.
3. If in cmd I go to the config directory above and do a del "." - I'm not allowed to type a new line. Computer will restart after about 15 minutes.
4. If in cmd I go to the config directory and type dir - I see one directory appearing with the name "." and the computer hangs. Same symptom as 1.
5. I go to disc cleanup - Previous windows installation is not an option after I scan. Can't remove it from here.
As long as I don't open C drive manually, the computer will function normally.
I also had a windows.old.000 which was removed successfully using the method 1. It looks like something in config folder is preventing me from removing windows.old (it's parent directory) and is hanging my computer whenever I try to remove.
I need help fast! Please assist!
Thank you very much