Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major Ping Spike when adding 2nd comp to network

• Please log in to reply

boonesdad

boonesdad

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey there,
I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router, and have two laptops. One is a Toshiba running Windows XP, and the other is an Acer running Windows 7. When I have only one computer connected to my wireless network, the connection runs as expected - perfect speed and ping times of only 55-75 milliseconds to both google.com and download.com

These results are the same both when using the PING function from a cmd prompt and when using PingPlotter. The problem comes when I allow a second laptop to connect to my wireless network. Within 3-5 minutes of connecting the second computer to the network, my PING times jump to over 1,000 milliseconds. I've had spikes where the results were as high as 2,500 milliseconds to the same server. After disconnecting my second laptop from the network the problem resolves itself.

It doesn't matter which computer connects first or second - and I've used other computers just to test to see if it was a configuration problem on one of my laptops - the results were the same. Anytime a second computer is connected to my network, but PING times because unbearable.

I've ordered a couple of new routers, but it'll be at least a week before they arrive and I'm going bonkers!

Thanks!

Advertisements