Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp can't read cd

• Please log in to reply

CBHugs

CBHugs

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Took a cd containing my docs that I burned in windows xp. I put it in an Imac drive. It opened up
and I foudn the info I wanted. Now I put the CD back in the Windows Xp computer and the CD has nothing in it. Help please - I need those files. Thank you.
Jane Knotek

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Is the cd still readable in your MAC
Can you read other cd's in XP (burned cd's and Original ones)

Did you try to clean the lens.
Did you try to uninstall your cd from device manager and reboot.

If it cannot read any cd's then your laser is probably damage, if it can read other cd's but can't read that cd only then the cd might be dirty, scratch or damage.

Did you burn your cd as a multisession cd or did you close it so no other data can be added.

CBHugs

CBHugs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Is the cd still readable in your MAC - it is my brother's- I have to go there tonight and try it

Can you read other cd's in XP (burned cd's and Original ones)
yes - no problem there

Did you try to clean the lens. NO
Did you try to uninstall your cd from device manager and reboot.I rebooted even thought device mgr says it is OK - no change

If it cannot read any cd's then your laser is probably damage, if it can read other cd's but can't read that cd only then the cd might be dirty, scratch or damage.
The CD played in my computer. Then I took it to my brother's to download wedding photos onto his mac (jpegs). Now when I put the CD into my computer, it has nothing on it. I put other CD's in and they are fine.

Did you burn your cd as a multisession cd or did you close it so no other data can be added. Closed it - it is not a re-writeable disc.

thank you for you help.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
To do a multisession disc you do not need a CD-RW disc just a CD-R will do, just to be sure when you put the cd in question and xp says it is empty just right click on it and choose properties to see how much space is left on it. The reason i am asking is that a multisessiondisc will hide the first session if the disc thinks another session as been burn to it.

If your cd displays over the 700mb of free space on it then your cd got damage if it shows some used space then it is maybe what i was thinking and its a multisession disc, if a multisession with Nero you can see and copy all the sessions if not there are programs that will retrieve data from a damage cd and maybe you can try one of them to see if the data is there but XP does not see it.

CBHugs

CBHugs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Voila! I found the files and copied them to the desktop. Shut down and restarted and they were there.
Merci.