Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C Drive Autorun.inf message Avira

• Please log in to reply

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok basically I have just finished installing a fresh new copy of XP and all my software etc all setup just how I like it. This includes ATI theme manager with the Invader theme (Alienware). All was going fine. I then decided having seen on the net that I preferred the newer alienware icon for the hard drive. So I located the icons and went about finding out how to replace the icon with my one. First I read that I should create a autorun.inf file in C drive and simply tell the autorun file where the icon's location was and place it in C drive. This didnt work as Avira was blocking due to its autorun blocking feature. so I disabled autorun blocking in Avira and continued. I copy and pasted the old autorun to desktop as a backup and placed my one in it. Restarted. No icon. Great so I youtube'd it. This one decided that its great to edit the registry and create new keys in 'driveicons' - the new keys being for C drive and my other hard drives. So I did that and followed the instructions and hey presto it worked without having to reboot. Ok now I decided I preferred the older version so I removed the registry keys and re-applied the Invader theme and restarted. And now every second avira is popping up telling m that Autorun has been blocked for my security ('C:\autorun.inf'). Clearly there is no virus as the icons were clean and all I did was change the icons and then restore the original autorun. I do not want to disable avira's autorun feature as it is a security measure I feel is useful so does anyone have any ideas how to stop it from doing this and what the cause is?

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
avira is garbage in my opion i bet it fails this test http://www.spycar.org

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Do a System Restore to before you started messing with the icons.

By the way, I've been using Avira for ages. I've had no problems with it at all.