Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing GFX card?

• Please log in to reply

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello!

After formatting my computer I had some gagp30kx.sys troubles, I renamed the file to get my PC working (it did fix it) but now a new problem has occurred... I can't see my gfx card (currently using one with no 3d and 64mb, which I expect to be the motherboard one)

If I go to Device Management, I have no monitor, no gfx card or anything related to that.
Yet my monitor is working (with an awful slow refresh rate when scrolling within file browsers and so) - it is even hooked up to my gfx card input and not the one on my motherboard (which is not functional).

So what can I do this fix this?

Cheers
-Seb

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You must have a K8/K9 Via chipset motherboard.

gagp30kx.sys is a MS Generic AGPv3.0 Filter For K8/9 Processor Platforms

If you renamed that file you will for sure not be able to see your video card since you have disable how your motherbaord transfers information from the AGP to the processor.

As long as this file is not working as it should your video card will not work properly.

Here is a link to Via chipset AGP driver hopefully if you try to reinstall those drivers it will help

http://driver.warese...m/free-via-agp/

Also some people fix the hanging at loading the file by going into their BIOS and reducing from AGP 8X to 4X

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Now that you mention it, I do have a (!) at the Via APG driver in my device manager. I'll check up on this and report back later, thank you!

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
@Alzeimer

I installed the 2004 driver, now my PC is back to "not working" state (stuck on loading screen) :)

2008 installer won't install or uninstall

Edited by Sebz4n, 15 September 2010 - 01:02 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Did you try to change your AGP 8X to 4X in your BIOS options, (do not know what motherboard you have but usually this is in the Advanced section).

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have an old gigabyte one, thought I don't see any options which has the setting x8 or x4, nor do I see anything named AGP

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I found a fix from someone who had a similar problem but you need to load windows to apply it.

In Dev Man > System Devices > VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 controller and one of the two drivers would be something like UAGP1.sys

Aparently gagp30kx.sys is a Windows driver and it's better besides, anyway it's what windows wanted in the first place! (ie. causing the crashs)

Anyway, click on update driver and in the window that appears, if you are asked to connect to Windows Update to search for new drivers, choose "No, not this time".

When asked to install the software automatically or from a specific location, choose "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)". You will then be asked where you would like to search (CD-ROM, Floppy Disk, etc.), choose "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install" and then click Next.

You should now see a window asking you which driver to install, show compatible hardware should NOT be checked. Scroll down in the right pane to "VIA CPU to AGP Controller", you should find that there are two copies of it with (Windows) next to it, you want to choose the first one you find (the top one, not the second). Make sure that it wasn't "VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller" you chose, as this is the normal Hyperion driver (btw, it'll dissapear from Dev Man later).

Windows then will give you a message about the possibility of the driver not being compatible with your hardware, and asks you whether you would like to install it anyway or abort, choose install.

The original VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller has dissapeard!

In Dev Man > system devices> VIA CPU to AGP Controller > Driver Details should have 2 files:
pci.sys and gagp30kx.sys

Edited by Alzeimer, 15 September 2010 - 02:27 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
What is the model of your Gigabyte

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thank you for the quick reply's mate!
I have some information here (how the program retrieved the gfx details is a mystery as it's not listed in device manager).

I will try the method you suggested above tomorrow, unexpected visitors just showed up

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I tried what you suggested, if I install the provided drivers I go back to non-working state :)
Is it possible to load the drivers from another windows CD (even if it's bound to another PC)?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Use the same CD with the same service pack and you can copy it to a floppy.

on the cd the files are located in I386/sp2.cab or I386/sp3.cab
the .cab files are compress so you will need to explore the .cab file and then extract the file gagp30kx.sys to your desktop and then to a floppy

If you can boot into windows then just copy it to the directory C:\windows\system32\drivers\

to copy from your floppy to the proper directory using the recovery console use this command
copy A:\gagp30kx.sys C:\windows\system32\drivers\

Edited by Alzeimer, 16 September 2010 - 06:07 AM.

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
The thing is, I have bought a SP3 for my PC, my old one was SP2. Will it still work? And should I only copy over the gag file or also the viaagp.sys?

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
This is still an issue, does anybody know how to resolve it?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I still think your file gagp30kx.sys is either corrupt, damage or missing maybe if you try to reinstall SP3 but apart from that i do not know what else you could try.

Sorry I could not help more, hopefully someone else here will be able to help you

Sebz4n

Sebz4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

I still think your file gagp30kx.sys is either corrupt, damage or missing maybe if you try to reinstall SP3 but apart from that i do not know what else you could try.

Sorry I could not help more, hopefully someone else here will be able to help you

Thank you for the assitance mate :)

I have tried several gag files (also the one from the original CD) - I really don't know what I can do