Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer building questions?

• Please log in to reply

Stan6369

Stan6369

• Pip
  • 2 posts
To Whom It May Concern,
I am looking into building my first PC. I am fairly knowledgeable about computers. But when it comes to building them it all seems Greek to me. Right now I have an over the counter dell pc and have three 1TB external hard drives connected with USB. I am looking at building something where all the hard drives are internal. I would like about half a dozen. To that end I found (Silverstone SST-LC17B Case). This case looks like it will work for what I want. I have also looked at motherboards. I have found a few online but don't know if I need a special one for so many hard drives? I've also researched RAID systems and it seems like a good idea with so many hard drives. Do I need a special type of motherboard to have a RAID system? Would I just be better off getting some type of server computer? I know there's a lot of questions here. I would appreciate anyone's help.

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Why do you feel you need half a dozen drives inside a machine?
Would it not be better simply to have one or maybe two big internal drives (such as 2 2Tb drives for example) and then keep the USB drives for your backups?

While that case will fit 6 drives, they will be squashed together. No air flow, no cooling = not good.

Stan6369

Stan6369

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a lot of information and am always getting more. The three 1TB hard drives I have now are almost full. I am thinking of switching to 2TB just so I dont have too many drives. I had thought about the drives being in the case and thought of putting an extra fan or two in it. Thanks for the reply, any other reply's are appreciated.