Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Site slow for DUN user

• Please log in to reply

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Greetings, been a while since I have been here, but I have noticed that with this new site, the pages have been very SLOW to load on my DUN connection. :) Is this just a temporary issue? I sure do hope so!!

FYI: All other sites load fine, just this one seems to take exceptionally long, and I am sure it is due to the new changes that have been made. Just wondering if any other DUN user is having the same issues? Would be nice to know, that I am not alone :)

Please advise,
and thank you! :)

Edited by Tee*Cee, 16 September 2010 - 08:44 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Dial up is w-a-y to slow for the vast majority of content on today's internet. It is can be done of course but, it could be as frustrating as waiting for an 1/8" garden hose to fill up a 55-gallon drum. :)

Time to upgrade to a bigger pipe. :)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
We are conscientious, and careful to respect our dial-up/low-bandwidth users (which includes mobile). All our pages our light on graphics, and graphics have been optimized to achieve the smallest size (kb). We also restrict avatar and signature sizes. We expect dial-up users to experience good performance.

Like most websites, this page caches data on your local drive to speed up page loading. Items like images and javascript are only downloaded once. The first time a page loads it may take a little longer as the page size (KB) has increased, but only slightly. Subsequent page loads should be just as fast or faster, as those page sizes have actually decreased.

It sounds like your browser may not be caching properly. You could also try a faster browser like Google Chrome to see if that makes a difference. As a last resort, you could select the IP.Board Mobile skin from the skin selector drop-down in the lower left corner of the screen (visible only when logged in).

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Dial up is w-a-y to slow for the vast majority of content on today's internet. It is can be done of course but, it could be as frustrating as waiting for an 1/8" garden hose to fill up a 55-gallon drum. :(

Time to upgrade to a bigger pipe. :)

How do you propose, I do that, when the ONLY Internet available to me is dial up? No high speed here at all. Upgrade not an option here. My choice is dial up or nothing.

We are conscientious, and careful to respect our dial-up/low-bandwidth users (which includes mobile). All our pages our light on graphics, and graphics have been optimized to achieve the smallest size (kb). We also restrict avatar and signature sizes. We expect dial-up users to experience good performance.

Like most websites, this page caches data on your local drive to speed up page loading. Items like images and javascript are only downloaded once. The first time a page loads it may take a little longer as the page size (KB) has increased, but only slightly. Subsequent page loads should be just as fast or faster, as those page sizes have actually decreased.

It sounds like your browser may not be caching properly. You could also try a faster browser like Google Chrome to see if that makes a difference. As a last resort, you could select the IP.Board Mobile skin from the skin selector drop-down in the lower left corner of the screen (visible only when logged in).

Thank you, that makes a LOT more sense. I believe it was user at this point. When the site was upgrading, I tried several times to log in, and the pages loaded so slow, I did maintenance, and deleted ALL temp int. files, and history, AND cookies, hoping that would help. ;) Well, it didn't Now, it is just as you said, being cached and loading much better. The more I come here, the pages are loading quicker.

I use IE7 SP3 and FF 3.6.10, which is quite a very nice update!! :D Now, I do understand why it was taking so long to load. Gee, thought I was doing a good thing, cleaning up those TIF! ;)

My sped is (Now, don't laugh!) varies, from: 21.6kbps -28.8kbps.

I will try the

"IP.Board Mobile skin from the skin selector "

and see if it helps any. No, I don't expect to fly, but will try that and see if it helps any. THANKS! ;)

Tee*Cee

Tee*Cee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Just a quick note, by changing to the "IP.Board " has made a big difference. Much appreciated :D

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Interesting, the default skin ought to be lighter on resources. I'll investigate. Thanks again for reporting.