Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive + external enclosure not working properly

• Please log in to reply

ripslymemc

ripslymemc

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hello all, I have a Seagate 160GB internal hard drive, installed in a Rosewill external hard drive. I plugged it into my main machine, an old computer running XP with the latest updates, and it recognized the drive, however I would not find it under My Computer>Manage>Disk Management. I turned it off and unplugged it, and then it started to spin with this beeping noise. I restarted the comp, restarted the drive multiple times, tried different USB ports but it still wouldn't work properly. I finally tried it with my laptop, a newer Windows 7 machine, which recognized it and it showed up under disk management. However, it showed up as only 3.86GB, and it said there was a "Cyclic redundancy check", which, according to a google search, is apparently an error detecting code. I've had the drive for over a year, and it just sat in a dust. Maybe the pins were ruined by drawer lint and dust?

What can I do?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
You might try using Seagate Tools to see if any of it can help diagnose the drive.

ripslymemc

ripslymemc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I tried a number of tests and they all failed. I bought this drive via Newegg and they have a three year warranty. How do I go about using it?!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I was under the assumption that you've written data to this drive before, seeing as it's a year old. Is it a new drive... have you ever formatted it? What kind of drive is it... IDE, SATA, 2.5", 3.5"? What model number? Normally, drives don't error out, even if they're not formatted. You just throw them in an enclosure, format the drive, and it just starts working. If this is a new drive, did you try formatting it when it was connected to you Win7 machine?

From your description, it sounds like the drive is bad. I've had brand new drives from Newegg fail right off the bat, so it's not unusual. Depending on the drive and what kind of computer you're working with, you might be able to connect it straight to the machine... just in case it's the enclosure that's causing you grief. If you think the drive is actually bad, just contact Seagate and let them know the drive fails their diagnostics and they'll replace it. Lots of manufactures will just take the drive back and send you a new one.