Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

selling computer

• Please log in to reply

cant

cant

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I am selling my compaq presario sr1218nx desktop.I searched and found out how to change the hard drive,my question is,should i change both drives?Don't I have a backup drive where some files are stored?I do alot of online shopping and don't want this person(who I don't trust because he knows to much about computers)to get my credit card info are any other info stored on my computer.And if I do have to change both drive's is it even worth selling being I may have to spend alot of money?And if i dont have to spend alot of money,the hard drive is $50 but I find nothing about the other drive(I dont know what its called are what to look for) do I reinstall windows xp?What other things do I need to install besides updates?I have a backup C.D. I made but wont all my info be on there being I made this only a few months ago?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first, what makes you think it's got 2 hard drives? did you purchase it with two? or did you add a second one after purchase (the specs i found online for that drive only list the one)? how old is the computer? did it come with recovery disks?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You do not need to replace the disks, just wipe the disks using a program like DBAN

Then reload the OS, if you want.

cant

cant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I am not sure if it has 2,when I fragment my drives it list 2 drives,drive C and drive D the computer is a 2004 model.It did not come with recovery disk but I did make a recovery disk,but only made it a few months ago so wont all my info be on that?I read that wipeing the drive isnt a sure way to rid the disk of my credit card info? Also ive been checking into new hard drives,can't i get a lager hard drive and just keep this computer being i added a better video card and a memory stick,wont that make this computer faster for gameing?I realy dont want to spend $800 for another computer.Please inform me of what would be needed to make this computer better are if I should get another computer.Thank you for your time,sorry I dont know more about computers other than the basics.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
er, ok.....if you're more interested in keeping the computer than selling it, and you don't really want to spend money....why exactly are you thinking of selling it?

cant

cant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
well i wanted to sell it to get a better computer for gameing,but after checking into it a little maybe this computer will do with some upgrades?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Keeping it and using it for gaming depends on what you have in the computer for the processor, memory and video card (as basics). It will also depend on what games you are trying to run.

Lets see if we can get some system information.

Download and install PC Wizard 2010

Run the program and it will analyze your computer and then display the results.
In the upper left hand corner click on the floppy icon.
You will get a save as screen.
Change the range bullet "only this selection" to be "selected category".
Make sure that text is selected for format.
Click on ok and you will be given a spot to save it to.

Attach it to your response.

cant

cant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
As for gameing,viet cong,borderlands,modern warfair,kyne and lench,front lines

Attached Files