Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's up with my internet?

• Please log in to reply

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Alright well I've been in this thread for a while: http://www.geekstogo...24#entry1899924

After I installed windows and installed the network adapter driver, my internet was just fine.

After I installed that driver for my GFX card, my internet plunged into the depths of [bleep]. Again. I've had inconsistency problems with my internet for a very very long time. Every minute or two the internet would lag out and break for 2-3 seconds while playing all online games; at random hours of the day the internet speed would drop to and fluctuate between 0 & 0.000000000001 kb/s - without a change in display in the systray or network settings - for a random extended period of time; additionally, whenever I've tried to diagnose and repair (a million times), I always got a vague answer to do a power cycle and nothing got fixed, or some other vague message about not being able to connect to the primary DNS server.

An online game I've been anticipating the release to play with many friends is coming out in less than a week, and I would really like to have decent internet, like the quality Linksys advertises Wireless N has.

My wireless adapter is a WMP600N, router is WRT160N (V3), and ISP is roadrunner.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as a simple test, can you uninstall the graphics driver that you installed and see if the issue goes away?

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Yeah, it works a lot better with the Video Card entirely removed from the system, driver included.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so basically, with the card completely removed, you don't have any issues what so ever on the network front?

how old is this card? has it ever worked correctly (i.e. not causing issues with networking)? PCI, PCI-E, or AGP?

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130380 Is my card.

As far as I know, I've never really had any problems with it.. besides overheating.

However, in that alternate thread I posted, I'm talking about rebuilding my system and will soon be buying a new Video Card, Processor, PSU, OS, etc. But.... it seems awfully strange that a video card - much less a driver - would affect the internet.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
weird yes, unheard of...not quite.

an incorrectly installed driver or failing hardware can cause any number of symptoms in a system. if the card is failing physically, it could be causing electrical issues in the system that's causing instability.

you don't by chance have a spare card to test with do you?

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I will not have a spare card with which to test until we determine what to purchase in the other thread

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Just out of curiosity what driver version are you using for your video card? As certain version had conflicts with other devices on the system. Most notable conflict I had was after install the graphics card drivers my SATA Drive transfer speed dropped to a point it rendered the computer useless until newer versions came out.

Also if it is the recent drivers failed try going back a version or two. IF you can't access them on the nvidia site let me know as I've kept a back from 191.07->258.96 for Windows 7/Vista x64 and I have 180.48 for WinXP x64

Edited by amw_drizz, 18 September 2010 - 06:50 PM.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Just installed my new GTX 460

Still have the same internet problems

Interestingly the adapter wouldn't be recognized or even install driver software I was manually giving it when it was in the bottom PCI slot, (normally in the one above the top) which I temporarily moved it there while installing the colossal new GPU. When I moved it back to its old PCI slot, the internet worked just fine, glitching and lag aside

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I'm still having problems, they won't go away and they're becoming increasingly difficult to ignore :D
Games online (every one I play) are nearly unplayable with frequent 2-3 second spikes of frozen lag

Please help?

This is all my hardware:

HDD: http://www.newegg.co...ID=3463938&SID=
GPU: http://www.newegg.co...ID=3463938&SID=
CPU: http://www.newegg.co...ID=3463938&SID=

^ These are all my new things.

My PSU = http://www.newegg.co...ID=3463938&SID=
My mobo = BIOSTAR Group TA790XE
RAM = 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (5-5-5-16)

^ Existing hardware. The Biostar TA790XE is relatively new to the system.

Edited by Oniketsoku, 27 October 2010 - 01:58 PM.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Man what the heck. My internet worked fantastic when I installed Windows 7 and used my old GT 9800. I'm in the process of getting my GTX 460 RMA'd. Unfortunately, the VRAM on the GT 9800 died and I went and bought a new backup video card: a XFX HD Radeon 4650. I'm back to the same exact problem that I had before, here. The internet dies as soon as I install the drivers for the ATi card. What the heck is going on. I do a fresh install of Windows 7, and the 9800 GT works great. Before when I had Vista, the 9800 GT was just as buggy as the GTX 460. Now I'm having the same problem all over again with this new backup card. I swear I removed every trace of an old driver.

I. Am. So. Confused.