Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help installing os on pc

• Please log in to reply

paake411

paake411

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I had a virus on the computer and a friend flash it to get rid of it (pc). Now there is no hp recovery, at boot up or start up, sorry don't know to much about computers. when trying to install os nothing appears on the monitor like emachine or hp at startup nothing shows up. the computer is on an running but don't know how to install os on hard drive without preesing f10 or going to bios without nothing on the screen. its running but not showing anything thanks for any kind of help or reading this at least !

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
http://www.cites.ill...virus/bios.html

this will explain what you want to know

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

the computer is on an running but don't know how to install os on hard drive without preesing f10 or going to bios without nothing on the screen. its running but not showing anything

Are you saying there is no video showing on the monitor?
Have you tried a different monitor?
What exactly do you mean by

a friend flash it to get rid of it (pc)

Did your friend flash the bios?

paake411

paake411

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

the computer is on an running but don't know how to install os on hard drive without preesing f10 or going to bios without nothing on the screen. its running but not showing anything

Are you saying there is no video showing on the monitor?
Have you tried a different monitor?
What exactly do you mean by

a friend flash it to get rid of it (pc)

Did your friend flash the bios?

Yes there is no video on the monitor for both my pcs I have!
Nothing shows up on the monitor, I've tried a different monitor but still nothing shows up can't go to bios to setup oem xp os installation disc. Don't know if he flash the bios or not! When I try to install windows xp on the computer starts but nothing is display on the monitor but the monitor is on and the computer is running, everything on the computer is wiped out. It won't show dell emachine or hp (f2 bios) on it at startup because monitor isn't displaying anything on it! I've got an old dell and another hp pavilion 7955 which I took the hard drive out then reformatted it an use it on another pc emachine. When I put the hp pavilion 7955 hard drive back to the original computer nothing will display on the monitor too like the dell my friend flashed!!!! Two pc with the same problem.

Edited by paake411, 17 September 2010 - 02:43 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Two pc's with the exact same problem I would be weary of saying video cards went out on both at the same time.
Without knowing exactly what your friend did it is hard to tell what the issue is.
I would suggest checking the connections from the pc to the monitor to make sure you are plugged in correctly.
Then check the cable end from the monitor and make sure no pins are bent.
Since you state you tried a different monitor with the same results I don't believe it's a monitor issue.
When you say flash I think of flashing the bios. If he did flash the bios on both systems and this caused your issue then you may have a problem.
Ask him exactly what he did and post back your findings for all the above.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The boot up info that you normally see such as hard drive info, memory check, bios info, etc, is resident on a chip on the main board. This is the white lettering on a black screen.
This will appear regardless if a hard drive is attached.
If the monitor is known good and you have no OS installed you should still get the boot up info and then get a warning about "no OS".

It sounds like bent pins or loose connections or corrupted bios.

You can try resetting the bios/cmos by removing the battery. Leave it out for say 10 minutes and then re-installing it.
The battery is round and about the size of a quarter. You do this with power off. Be careful you do not disturb anything else.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Cmos Battery