Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't reinstall older version on iTunes 7.5

• Please log in to reply

mraskin

mraskin

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I installed 2 days ago the latest iTunes 10. It didn't function well with my iPod Classic (year 2007 model). So I read a bit online and it appears that many older gadgets don't work well with this newest iTunes 10. I decided to uninstall this version and reinstall iTunes 7.5 which worked OK with my iPod Classic.
When I almost finished reinstallation of iTunes 7.5 a message poped up telling:
"The file "iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes".
There was only OK button , so I hit OK and completed installation. Tryed to run iTunes 7.5 and couldn't make it start, i.e. message poped up :
"iTunes cannot run because some of its required files are missing. Please reinstall iTunes".
So I did remove all the components:
iTunes
QuickTime
Apple Software Update
Apple Mobile Device Support
Bonjour
Apple Application Support

and reinstalled iTunes 7.5 again. Same outcome, i.e. message poped up telling:
"The file "iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes".
Tryed to run iTunes 7.5 and same message poped up :
"iTunes cannot run because some of its required files are missing. Please reinstall iTunes".

Again I uninstalled all the the components:
iTunes
QuickTime
Apple Software Update
Bonjour

and this time via "regedit" I deleted all the registries that contained iTunes, Apple, QuickTime in their names.
Then again reinstalled iTunes 7.5. Same outcome as before. i.e. message poped up :

Again I uninstalled all the the components:
iTunes
QuickTime
Apple Software Update
Bonjour

and via "regedit" I deleted all the registries that contained iTunes, Apple, QuickTime in their names.
This time installed iTunes 7.6 and at the end a message poped up :
"The installation of QuickTime did not complete successfully. iTunes requires QuickTime"
Installed separately the QuickTime but it didnt help at all.
Till now can't make it work. Now my laptop works very slow. Some programs mulfunctioning. Plus a message pops up all the time :
"Adapter Problem. There is no Wireless Physical Adapter Instlled".
Strange my laptop is acctualy connected wirelessly to my router as I type this message now.

Please advise what can be done in order to make the laptop to work fast again and properly plus I would like to reinstall the iTunes 7.5. :)

Thank you in advance. :)

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Have you tried doing a System Restore to before you installed Itunes 10? While it may or may not restore your Itunes 7.5 due to all the hacking you've been trying, it might correct your new wireless problem. Try a System Restore first.

By the way, Itunes installs crud all over the place... not only in Program files. When you uninstall anything apple, you need to delete all folders pertaining to apple in Documents and Settings. Be sure to look in "All Users" as well as your own profiles folders.

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Of course I did try the System Restore, but no luck. It seems that System Restore on Win XP doesn't work.
I've selected several dates for the restore and each time after reboot the System Restore tells that it was not able to restore to the specified date. :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

It seems that System Restore on Win XP doesn't work.

You must have corrupted System Restore points.

As I mentioned Itunes installs crud all over the place. This is what you should do...
1) Uninstall everything Apple that pertains to Itunes. This includes Itunes, Bonjour, Quicktime.
2) Do a search of your C drive for Itunes. You should find results in several folders. Delete them all... as long as they refer to Itunes.
3) The Library.itl file that's referenced during the reinstall is located in C:\Document and settings\<your user name>\My Documents\My Music\Itunes... Delete the file.

Note... I don't know how you manage your music, but the default location for Itunes music is in Documents and Settings under your profile name somewhere. I can't remember because I don't manage my music in the default folder. Be sure that when you search and delete folders, you don't delete your music.

3) Try to install the older version of Itunes again.

I don't know if it'll work as there are still registry entries that might be messing you up. However, we won't go into the registry unless it's the last resort. Itunes is just an application. It shouldn't be this difficult to get rid of so you can install an older version.

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
thanks. :) I'll try it now.
But what about the mater that my laptop is working unbelivebly slow (I need to wait for several minutes to open any application/software and when it is open every operation takes minutes to process), and what about the wireless adapter pop message?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, I was hoping the System restore would cure all your problems. Unfortunately, it can't.

Do all applications open slowly, or only certain ones?
If you're on wireless, can I assume this is a laptop? EDIT... I just reread that you are on a laptop!

Can you list your machine type, full model number, specs, hard drive size?

Slow applications may be caused by many things. If this is a laptop, and your drive is getting full (like with mp3 files), the entire computer may run slow. Since I can't really look at it, I have to depend on you telling me what you can. Also, slow operation may be signs of malware. Howerver, malware will normally cause a machine to run abnormally slow, so if this is not the case, then perhaps it's not malware.

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
laptop is Toshiba M60-BK3 |Pentium M 750 1.86| 2GB RAM| 100gb 4200| GeForce Go 6600 128MB| 17" WXGA
The HD is half empty.
All the applications do run very slow (this all happened right after I cleaned up all the registries with iTunes).

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

All the applications do run very slow (this all happened right after I cleaned up all the registries with iTunes).

This is why we do not recommend mucking in the registry.

Lets deal with that after the itunes issue.

Download and install Revo Uninstaller

Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
In the next window select the Advanced mode
Click Next to start uninstalling the program
Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
Once complete, click Next, then Finish
Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Actually prior to the last message I already uninstalled all the unwanted components:
iTunes
QuickTime
Apple Software Update
Bonjour

So now when I ran the Revo Uninstaller, it didnt find any conponents of the iTunes or Apple related applications.

Edited by mraskin, 19 September 2010 - 12:48 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
So did you try to reinstall Itunes 7.5? How did it go?

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Not yet.
I am having another more serious problem, i.e. all the USB ports are not working. I have posted a separate Topic for the USBs issue.

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I end up using the Toshiba's Recovery CD. ;)
All now like it was when I just purchased the laptop.
USBs are working fine.
I installed the iTunes 7.7 with no problems.
Thanks for your help. :D