Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Cam

• Please log in to reply

azjoanna

azjoanna

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I bought a Zonet IP Cam and it works great in my home and I have access through my 3 computers that are run off of my router....the problem is I can't figure out how to get it to be viewed from another location via the internet.

I've tried adding my IP address to my browser allowing access to certain people, but assume there's something I'm not doing correctly. Help......I'm not very computer literate.

Joanna

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what's the model of the camera? same for your router. you're probably going to have to do some port forwarding to get access from outside, i'll look for a manual

azjoanna

azjoanna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The camera is a Zonenet two-way audio IP Cam (ZVC7630)....my router is a LLinksys wireless -6 2.4GHZ.

I know nothing about how my "ports" are set.

Thanks for responding.

Joanna

flowergirl

flowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Joanna, 'dsenette' has helped me many times through the years with computer problems.
(Joanna is my sister.)

We are trying to set up a web camera to place at our 91 year old mothers so we can
check from our computers if she has fallen or needs help. (She lives alone.)

Joanna has it working so the picture of the room the camera is in shows on her own computers
but we cannot figure out how to relay it to a computer away from home. (Which we have to do in
order to set up the camera at our mom's.)

Joanna has sent me her IP address in hopes I can see her cam pictures, I put it in the address
bar and get this message:
Unable to connect. Firefox can't establish a connection to the server

flowergirl

flowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
We think the problem is solved.

By purchasing another router, getting a new IP address and
by me using Internet Explorer browser instead of Mozilla Firefox,
I was able to see my sister that lives 45 miles away on MY
computer screen!

P.S. We still haven't figured out how to get audio but hopefully
that feature will work also.

Edited by flowergirl, 18 September 2010 - 08:27 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry for the absence, but i don't get on the board on the weekends

i looked over a few of the other cameras' manuals last week (before you replied with your model number) and it seems that the cameras are upnp compatible. so assuming you have a upnp router, that's configured to allow such things, the camera will (in theory) tell the router what it needs when it connects to it. one other consideration that i gathered from the manuals is that they are also capable of using DynDNS (DDNS) settings.

DDNS is basically a service where you can assign a host name (like joannascamera.dyndns.org) to a dynamic ip address (one that changes).

basically you go to http://www.dyndns.com/ and set up an account. this will give you an account name and a password. you would enter that in on the ddns configuration are of the camera's setup page. this "should" allow you to get full access to the camera from outside by going to your dyndns URL. this might also allow the sound through, but i have no real idea there

azjoanna

azjoanna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the advice....we'll give it a try.