Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

This copy of Windows is not activated

• Please log in to reply

djpanic

djpanic

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just finished installing XP Pro sp3 after going thru a nightmare with an intermittent drive, replaced, got everything up and running on a new drive, hunted down all the drivers, activated Windows, rebooted for no good reason and BAM! This copy of Windows is not Activated! But I just did activate it! Oh, and I can't logon because now all of a sudden there's an Admin password. So no problem, NT-Offline, UBCD, nope nope! Opening disk as read only? Ok, booted into repair mode, nope, don't know the password! Ok, Linux boot to DOS prompt, Chkdsk, no errors found. What the..., I got around this once before but I don't remember how. I'm pretty sure I ran a repair install and that didn't work. Any help is appreciated!

I think 20 years is too long in the computer field. I think I wanna be a fireman now...

Edited by djpanic, 17 September 2010 - 06:03 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Sorry to say, but the best option is just to reinstall XP again and reactivate it again. A hassle to be sure since you'll probably need to speak to an MS person, but the TOU of Geekstogo state that we cannot help you get around activation issues. I understand that all you want is help to fix your issues, but in this case it's not possible. Besides, it looks like you have more problems than just activation if you're locked out with a required password you don't have. Best to just reinstall then try to fix a bad install.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It would definitely be easier to reinstall XP. You should not have all those issues.
I wouldn't dump in all the updates at one time without running and testing the computer as you go.