Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Audio on my machine after reformatting

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

One other issue. It looks as if I have an onboard/integrated sound card. Is that going to be a problem if i go out and buy a new one?

Nope just the purchase of a new soundcard and then install it along with the drivers.
First try the previous suggestions about the drivers.

Advertisements

Kerry1

Kerry1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Interesting development.... I tried an mp3 and then an audio cd on Windows Media Player and the distortion now seems all but gone. (I tried earlier on and there was still crackling in the sounds). However when i run the cd or an mp3 on Itunes, I still receive the distortion. I am going to try and reinstall my itunes to see if that does the trick.

Thanks again guys.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We will wait for your results.

Kerry1

Kerry1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hmmm..... I tried the reinstall of itunes and it did not seem to work, there is still a lot of distortion in anything i play. I started listening on windows media player again and have still noticed some crackles, but definitely nothing as dramatic as the ones that can be heard while playing on iTunes.

I have also changed all the settings/equalizers to normal and can still hear it.

Kerry

Kerry1

Kerry1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have also uninstalled the previous audio driver on my machine and reinstalled the original one from the HP Compaq website, tested to see if there was any difference, and then installed the driver update and still no difference.

It might soon be time for me to buy another sound card.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

It might soon be time for me to buy another sound card.

I would say you are right but lets wait to see what my esteem partner says.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Buying a new soundcard would be the safe way to go, make sure you uninstall the onboard sound controller in windows and disable it in your BIOS before you install your new soundcard.