Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavillion Screen Issues

• Please log in to reply

danishdinner

danishdinner

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I have an HP Pavillion dv6000 series. I bought it around April 2007, and have been having screen issues off and on ever since. I've been able to deal with it until now - it's happening more often.

The screen I see now can be divided into three sections: the bottom portion that is frozen with vertical colored lines and a horizontal line that is actually moving from top to bottom, the middle portion that is shaded and lightly blinking, but mouse movement still visible through it, and the top portion which is perfectly normal.

I can still do all of my regular computer work (internet, music, opening files, etc.) except that I can't tell where I'm clicking on the bottom third of the screen.

I am also running Windows 7, if that means anything. I have had Vista when I first bought it up until Windows 7 was released, yet I have been having this problem variably since about Summer 2007.

Thank you!
Dana

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) and I'm sorry you are experiencing problems with your laptop. I will try to assist you in resolving it.
Try a external monitor and see if the issue happens with it.
If not then it is your laptop screen.
If it does then it's the video in your laptop.

danishdinner

danishdinner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, I hooked up my desktop monitor to my laptop. Screen on my desktop monitor looks great! So this means that my laptop screen is broken? Is there any way I could try to fix it myself?

Thanks again, I can't believe I never thought to try that!

-Dana

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,795 posts
Hi danishdinner :) sorry to hear you are having this display issue.
There are a few possible causes for what you are experiencing so we will look
at them one at a time, one possible cause is video driver issues, the specs I
found for your laptop show that there are 2 possible video cards that can be
fitted so we need to identify which one is fitted in your laptop, to find this
info for us can you run dxdiag, to do this go to start>in search type in dxdiag>
run dxdiag exe>click on display>this should tell you what card is fitted and the
driver details, post this information and we can look for the latest drivers.
How much Ram does your computer have? again your computer specs showed 512MB
fitted at purchase with a 2GB maximum capacity and Vista your original OS requires
1GB of memory alone, so even if you have 1GB fitted it could explain why you have
always had graphics problems as the onboard video card also uses the system memory.
To check what Ram you have fitted have a look at the attached link, take out the
Ram and swap it around the slots, boot up and see if it makes a difference, let us
know the Ram details, I would recommend 2GB for your laptop.
Another possible cause is the card itself being bad, as the chip is integrated
into the MB it cannot be replaced so if the video card is bad you will need to
replace the MB, this will not be cheap.
Another possible cause could be the ribbon from the MB to the screen, this is not
an easy task to undertake so we will only worry about it if it is necessary.
http://www.insidemyl...-dv6000-laptop/
EDIT: I see rshaffer61 is already assisting so I will just look in.
Found the attached link showing how to change the screen on the dv9000 model, is it the same as yours http://www.insidemyl...-dv9000-laptop/

Edited by phillpower2, 18 September 2010 - 03:51 PM.

danishdinner

danishdinner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok I looked up my dxdiag and for Display is says:
Name: Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family
Chip Type: Intel GMA 950
Main Driver: igdumd32.dll
Version: 8.15.10.1930
DDI Version 9Ex
Drive Model: WDDM 1.0

Let me know if you need more information. Also, I found out that my laptop has 1 GB ram. I have my computer unscrewed right now, but I am afraid to switch the ram around the slots! I am not used to looking inside laptops and do not want to mess anything up. Could this really be a ram problem? It seems more like the actual screen components are broken.

Thanks again!
-Dana

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I found this tutorial HERE on how to remove and replace the screen on your laptop.
Give it a look and see if it's something you want to tackle on your own.

danishdinner

danishdinner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok thank you. Will I need to replace the entire screen or just a cable or something that attaches to the screen?

-Dana

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is going to be hard to diagnose without trying it.
When you order a new screen it hopefully will have all the cables and attachments accessories with it. I don't think you can change just the connector but it may be different on your laptop.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
A while back HP had a recall on DV6000 for screen issues. While the screen issues involved black screens (among other things), I believe they were addressing the video card itself and not so much the screen. You might try calling HP before making any investment to repair it yourself. Visit this Link for the recall and contact information. You have nothing to lose by calling HP and making a lot of noise!

makai