Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to reduce bottlenecking without OC

• Please log in to reply

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

If you're running a GPU that's PCI Express 2.0 x16 in a motherboard that was only made for PCI Express x16, it'll run, but the connection at the motherboard will constrict the speed of anything going to or from the graphics card.

While in theory this is true, in practice, it is negligible in most, not all, but most cases. You are still talking x16 slots and 2.0 cards are fully backward compatible and only a few of the latest graphics cards are able to max out the V1 speeds. I would be more concerned about the motherboard's bus speed, and of course RAM quantities, rather than PCIe versions at this point, and for this discussion.

And regardless, if LordO is unwilling to spend money on more RAM - still the best and most cost effective method - then upgrading the motherboard to get the latest PCIe version is out of the question, as that would likely require new DDR3 RAM and a different CPU, then a new license for Windows too.

Advertisements

LordOblivion

LordOblivion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I only have the budget for a GPU and a PSU. My mobo is very picky with ram and the ones the mobo can accept are pretty much obsolete.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I only have the budget for a GPU and a PSU. My mobo is very picky with ram and the ones the mobo can accept are pretty much obsolete.

I will remind you that you opened this thread with,

...can someone please tell me how to reduce bottlenecking without OC'ing my CPU.

It is clear you made up your mind on a new card and that's it. So I am going to say this and drop it because I feel I am talking to a wall - while a new graphics card will help with performance, it will likely reveal your true bottleneck, your limited RAM. And a new PSU, of course, does nothing for performance. Also, ASUS is a Tier 1 motherboard maker so your comment about the board being picky is simply not true. Yes, it requires specific RAM, but that is true for any board. Note the QVL for your board lists dozens of compatible RAM. Crucial offers 30 and Corsair has 20.

It is apparent finding the best way to reduce bottlenecking is not what you wanted. Rather, you want someone to rationalize for you that spending $220 on a new card plus another large chunk of change for a new PSU is the best solution. It is not going to happen - at least not with me because that is not the best solution to help resolve your bottlenecking issue. Nor is it, by any means, the wisest use of your budget considering another 2Gb of RAM for the ASUS P5K SE motherboard can be had for less than $50.

Good luck.