Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SimpleTech 500GB External HDD Can't Access!

• Please log in to reply

la_z_boy

la_z_boy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello folks,

I have a SimpleTech Signature Mini 500GB External HDD and until yesterday it was working just fine. I have XP, and I took my Drive and used on a friend's computer with Windows 7. It was accessible at first, but transferred information very, very slowly, then when I hit cancel on the transfer, it wouldn't respond. Upon quitting, rebooting, and re-plugging in, the drive would be detected after about a minute, but would make everything freeze or hang for a good while. It couldn't be accessed, formatted or uninstalled.
I took it back home again, and same patter occurred. Tried plugging it into a mac laptop where it had previously been working, didn't work there also.

I've tried scouring google for similar threads but didn't find any helpful solutions. The only helpful website said that if you plug it in, and you hear a regular "wrrrr" (not to be confused the clicking sound of death), then that means you have to unscrew a section of it and clean the contacts. As this would void the warranty I'm going to do that as a last resort.

Please help!!

Edited by la_z_boy, 22 September 2010 - 06:58 AM.

Advertisements

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
http://www.simpletec...btech/enter.php